• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Power loss on Diesel engine

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Put me in the group of having had this happen in our previous MH. But unfortunately, it cost me $800 in mobile tec bills to find the solution.

Put me in the group of having had this happen in our previous MH. But unfortunately, it cost me $800 in mobile tec bills to find the solution.
Happens on boats that haven’t been in rough water for a long time. Get them out to sea and it stirs up all the crud in the tanks, then your in the bilge breathing diesel fumes, changing filters, in rough seas. Not all that much fun. That’s why they “polish” diesel in boats.

Happens on boats that haven’t been in rough water for a long time. Get them out to sea and it stirs up all the crud in the tanks, then your in the bilge breathing diesel fumes, changing filters, in rough seas. Not all that much fun. That’s why they “polish” diesel in boats.
In my case, I was coming back from Blue Water Key and had experienced -0- mechanical problems along the trip. That said, I had every other problem that one can imagine (including ants), but that's another story.

I remember the nasty place we stopped for fuel and I knew it was not right when I pulled in. But I was going into a busy stretch ahead, and it was either stop here or 100 miles away, and I was already under 1/2 tank. So I stopped and fueled up. And then I stopped again in about 50 miles when the filters clogged up enough that Freightliner put up one of those codes that can be one of a dozen different things.

The mobile tec had one price that he charged. It was $85 for the call, $85 to hook up his code reader, $85 per hour (5-hrs), $85 for the filters, and a couple of $85's just for the hell of it. Interesting enough, his business was called "Affordable Diesel Service." lol

So yeah, it was an expensive lesson learned. A friend who drove trucks for a living, told me that the displayed code is a frequent one and is cured 95% of the time with new filters. We bought several of each, and carried them with us for the rest of the coaches time with us. Never needed them though, and passed them on the the new owner when he purchased the coach.

Latest resources

Back