Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Progressive SSP-50XL Problem? Or campground issue?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BuckyII

Enjoying retirement in Naples, FL.
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3341
RV Length
34’
TOW/TOAD
2016 Cadillac SRX
Today the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal tripped. When I reset it, only one green light came back on on my SSP-50XL and consequently 1 leg in coach.

Camp guy tested and showed 119+ on both legs and replaced breaker.

SSP still has just one green light. After removing SSP and plugging directly into pedestal I’m getting 2 legs in coach.

Camp guy says bad SSP...I’m reluctant to accept that. Have tried calling Progressive, can’t get through.

Is it likely SSP went bad on a clear day...no lightning?

Is it safe to plug in directly until I hear from Progessive?

Wow I literally went through this last night. I have the hardwired EMS-HW50C with bypass switch and at 9:00PM noticed an E6 on the thermostat. Sure enough checked the PI box and getting error L2 no power.

This morning the electrician showed up and tested. In my case he claimed the wires were loose on the breaker and the he was getting 240V. I did clarify that this was really 120V per each leg to which he acknowledged. He tightened everything up and it seems like that was the solution and so far so good.

Well, here are some random thoughts.

The fact that the "camp guy" found 119+ volts on each leg means very little unless he load tested each leg. It is possible to have proper voltage, but very little available amperage. Now, the fact that he replaced the breaker is a plus, as long as it was a new breaker and not a pull-out from another panel.

Yes, it is possible for the SSP 50XL to go bad on a "clear day...no lightning." Lightning isn't the only thing that can cause a voltage spike and damage a surge suppressor. There are many other reasons as well.

"Is it safe to plug in directly...?" Safe is a relative term. You can likely plug back in; lots of folks don't even use surge suppressors (foolishly in my thinking). Unless you absolutely have to, however, I wouldn't. If something did take out the SSP 50XL (and, it protected your RV as it was designed to do), there is the potential for that event to happen again...and, you won't be protected.

TJ

Wow I literally went through this last night. I have the hardwired EMS-HW50C with bypass switch and at 9:00PM noticed an E6 on the thermostat. Sure enough checked the PI box and getting error L2 no power.

This morning the electrician showed up and tested. In my case he claimed the wires were loose on the breaker and the he was getting 240V. I did clarify that this was really 120V per each leg to which he acknowledged. He tightened everything up and it seems like that was the solution and so far so good.
Glad to hear that you got your issue resolved. @we_b_tripn. In my experience, power problems are almost always (90% plus) in the park power system, despite frequent and vehement protestations to the contrary by park owners and staff.

TJ

Thanks guys for the info. My situation may be solved...I hope!

I decided to keep the SSP in place even if it meant just having L2 available in the coach. After about an hour, my L1 power had returned...2 green lights on the SSP. Wondering if there is some timed reset on the SSP or a campground issue got resolved?

Thanks guys for the info. My situation may be solved...I hope!

I decided to keep the SSP in place even if it meant just having L2 available in the coach. After about an hour, my L1 power had returned...2 green lights on the SSP. Wondering if there is some timed reset on the SSP or a campground issue got resolved?
I suspect the latter!

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back