bowersrd

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
CT Coachworks
RV Model
Siena
RV Length
Last month I purchased a 2008 Class A and have stopped at a Love's and a Tractor Supply and both times the propane handler looked for a DOT inspection sticker and stated I must have had one within 10 years. I have a 50 gallon tank manufactured in 2007, but it does not list a DOT number. I googled the topic and found a rvtravel article stating:

"Motorhomes, though, have installed ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) tanks, not DOT tanks. ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. All propane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense."

The article was from March 2018. I attached a pic of my tank placard. Is this true and how do I convince the businesses of this?

Attachments

• 20201024_084246.jpg
    20201024_084246.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 22
Information in article is correct. I’m not sure how you’ll convince some locations that it’s not a DOT tank. I had a 1992 RV and never ran into the problem with having tank filled thru 2016.
Dare I say.....Camping World or other RV locations is your best bet.

Information in article is correct. I’m not sure how you’ll convince some locations that it’s not a DOT tank. I had a 1992 RV and never ran into the problem with having tank filled thru 2016.
Dare I say.....Camping World or other RV locations is your best bet.
Thank you...raises my confidence a bit.

The article was from March 2018. I attached a pic of my tank placard. Is this true and how do I convince the businesses of this?
Print out the article so you have proof of what you say. as far as inspecting for leaks use soapy water and check the valve for leaks. Most places like blue flame don't pressure test the portable tanks and replace the valve and re-certify with only a valve replacement. This tells me the real problem is the valve on tanks not the tank itself

Last month I purchased a 2008 Class A and have stopped at a Love's and a Tractor Supply and both times the propane handler looked for a DOT inspection sticker and stated I must have had one within 10 years. I have a 50 gallon tank manufactured in 2007, but it does not list a DOT number. I googled the topic and found a rvtravel article stating:

"Motorhomes, though, have installed ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) tanks, not DOT tanks. ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. All propane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense."

Did you get a valid answer to concur that testing is not necessary & what was your proof testing is NOT required?

2005 Dutch Star. I've had this problem at just about every Love's but never at Tractor Supply. It just comes down to training, some places have more thorough training. Love's apparently only trains them to fill one kind of tank. I've found at Love's, if you push back they fill it anyway and say "next time we won't fill it".

Latest resources

Back