Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Today I had a thought wondering who I would allow to drive my coach if/when the time came to sell. For those of you that have been down this path, what lessons learned can you share as to who you allow to drive your coach and anything related to this topic. Picture of driver's license, where do they drive, are all welcome discussions.

No way. Friend of mine was selling his plane, so he let the prospective buyer with “thousands of hours and ratings” fly his plane.
The guy promptly totaled it on landing, and walked away from the deal saying he was sorry but not interested anymore.
If he wants test drive, let him go to a dealer, or you drive him around the block.
But again, it is your coach?

I doubt I would let a prospective buyer test drive my coach. I would certainly take them on a drive, but you can drive it when you’ve handed me a check

I doubt I would let a prospective buyer test drive my coach. I would certainly take them on a drive, but you can drive it when you’ve handed me a check
X2

One reasonable compromise I might consider is if there were a large empty parking somewhere with no light poles, I might take them there and let them drive around in the empty parking lot if they were unsure they could handle it because of the size.

I have sold 3 motorhomes, by owner. All 3 I allowed the buyer to test drive after we had come to a deal, he had secured financing, he had insurance for an RV, and the inspection was done.

Bottom line, the test drive was the last formality in the deal.

When the test drive was performed, I drove the rv out to the highway, and let the buyer take over from there. By that time I knew the deal was done.

Several requested to ride as a passenger for a drive before we got that far, and that was acceptable.

I pretty much laid out a plan in my head when I listed my coach which was similar to when I sold my 40' diesel boat. I then checked with another member here to see if it was a sound plan (Sheridan) since he had recently sold his Newmar.

Any "test" drive would be after a deal was negotiated and any and all inspections were completed. In other words, I wasn't going to take the coach out on the highway just for a tire kicker. A prospective buyer would have to have some "skin in the game" for the coach to be moved. Also, I made up my mind early on that even if I got to that point with a serious buyer I still would only allow him/her to be a passenger unless they were extremely experienced driving a large motorhome or big rig.

As it turned out the couple that purchased our coach did take a test drive with us (me driving) and then never asked to drive it until they showed up to take delivery, and he was a retired truck driver that owned a 38' DP.

Latest resources

Back