Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
There should never be risk of an awning deploying with an engine running.

Ref:

Last edited:
I am pleased to report that Girard has stepped up and committed to replacing our awning, no “ifs, ands or buts.” We are now in the process of scheduling when and where this will take place and the ball is in our court. We’ll make a decision tomorrow, after we determine our availability schedule.

There was no defensiveness at all from Girard from the very start, they were wanting to get to the bottom of this and makes things right. I’m giving Girard top marks on this.

TJ
Glad that they are taking care of you @TJ&LadyDi. I wonder if it is actually a Newmar implementation issue since Girard is stepping up, or is it a known issue with Girard’s interlock.

Mine is on ods side, forward of the peg bay compartment, opposite the oasis.
Yep, driver-side bay just forward of the pegboard bay. On our coach, it is immediately inside the bay door, on the left just above the midpoint of the door opening. A white cord plugs into a standard receptacle located just inboard of the white controller box. See below.

Girard controller-1.jpeg

Girard controller-2.jpeg

TJ

Curious for those of you with Girards to do a test. Start your engine and see if you can run your awnings out or in.

Most of the luxury class A manufacturers use Girard awnings. Has the deployment issue happened with any of them, or is it only a Newmar issue?

Curious for those of you with Girards to do a test. Start your engine and see if you can run your awnings out or in.
I just tried it with mine. The awnings were deployed and the engine started right up. Using the remote, I ran the awnings in and out with the engine idling. I did not put it in gear...maybe that would make a difference. I’ll try that tomorrow.

Latest resources

Back