• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bean50

RVF Newbee
I’m new here!!!!
My husband and I are in the market for a high quality Class A 40-43ft. I’m wondering if, after the market crash in 2008, the quality of the Class A’s has improved or is the “golden age” from 2002-2008ish apply?

Thank you
Bean

You are really comparing apples to oranges. I could write pages about this but you seem to be referencing pre-2009 Country Coach, Foretravel, Monaco, American coach, Newmar, etc as compared to modern Tiffin and Newmar (survivors of the crunch) coaches, excluding of course Prevost and Newell because they are in a class by themselves.

So you have to decide whether you want the modern conveniences and innovations of newer coaches, or the exceptional build quality and luxury along with the relative simplicity of the older coaches. With the pre-2008 rigs you also get pre-2008 emissions which may be enough to sway your decision.

But if you like current amenities, then newer rigs, with all their idiosyncrasies, are going to be your best bet. And really the build quality of new coaches is pretty good - good enough to enjoy for many years. My 2016 seems exceptional except for the emissions system which is ok now, but it took a lot or research and learning to get on top of it.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate your response. I’m very picky and like quality. I just wish I knew if the new coaches were as solidly built… ie solid wood cabinets, woodwork, high quality flooring etc.
We’ve had “new” 5th wheels and the cabinets, flooring etc fell apart with in a year. I’m just hesitant. Thank you again!!!! :)

You can study the building methods and innovations from Newmar by looking at the changes and specs of the various models over the years. If this is helpful, look for similar archives of other brands you are interested in. This archive now actually goes through the 2020 model year.

ie solid wood cabinets, woodwork, high quality flooring etc.
Sounds like you are looking for a diesel.

It's a crap shoot on what kind of quality and craftsmanship you are going to get with any make or model .

Hi Bean:
It also has to depend on your budget. Really high end like Newell & Prevost can set you back in the 7 figure category very easily.

In my opinion I would look at Newmar, Tiffin & Entegra in the 40 ft + class. None of these coaches are cheap to say the least. You can buy new or buy used.

Many new buyers buy used RV's maybe three to fives years old, they figure let the person who bought it new take the depreciation hit. They also figure that the previous buyer got the bugs out. But that's not always the case. Did they do the scheduled maintenance? Did they take the coach back for scheduled recalls? Or did they run the heck out of it and sell it.

You are new to this so have a used coach inspected by a professional before you buy. One last tidbit. For myself I am a technology guy. I like the latest and greatest improvements on the late model coaches. Things like, In dash navigation, digital display dashes, solar panels, heated floors, WIFI ranger, Instant Hot water no water tank, powered shades, Touch screen control display panels, on board TPMS systems and so much more. Many of these new advancements are NOT available on a coach that is even three years old.

If you buy new, YOU will have to get the bugs out and there will be enough to go around. Maybe try to buy a coach from a dealer that has a reputable Service Department that is in striking distance of your home. This will make your life a whole lot easier.

HH

Latest resources

Back