• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Josh77

RVF Regular
Hello,
New member here looking for any advice.
I have a 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300 FB fifth wheel - 35 foot. I purchased it used a few years ago. It was in excellent shape when purchased and the only thing I saw was a bubble on the RV sidewall where it meets the rear vertical seam but the seals looked good and I pushed on the wood around and under and it was very firm. I also had it inspected by an RV dealer and had them put slide toppers on for me. I am on a seasonal site where the camper stays year round in central WI so we get very cold winters and very hot days in the summer as well. I check my seals and the roof every few weeks but this past summer I noticed the bubble has gotten larger following several hot weeks (hit 100 degrees in WI) and I was suprised to see that a very small section of the vertical seal opened up a few inches because the seals looked good. I resealed it right away with a heavy coat of silicone sealer and then switched over to using all silicone based RV sealers hoping this might help and I resealsed every seam on my camper. My concern is that the bubble (basically delamination) puts a lot of stress on the vertcial seam and with the expansion of materials between the seasons it may continue to get worse despite my best efforts given the age of the camper. Maybe this is more due to heat delamination?

In the pics you can see the bubble on the RV sidewall. I am looking for a fix that won't be very expensive since it's on blocks and tire savers and I had to have the dealership deliver it for me - too big for me to haul. I was considering removing all of the sealant around the edges and then spraying some 3M industrial strength adhesive behind the fiberglass and hopefully sandwiching it back together with applied pressure. Then resealing the heck out of the seams again. I know it won't likely flatten it all out but maily looking at trying to make this better and reduce the bubble to some extent.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
bubble pic 1.png
bubble pic 2.png

You are not going to like what I am about to tell you, You have water damage and it is causing declamation. I have the same problem on my 2019 Coachman on the cab overhang. My RV is going into the shop next month for repairs at a cost of over $7000.00 to me. When it gets repaired I will sell it and buy a used Class A Tiffin !

Since it’s on a back seam, you might be able to peel the fiberglass away from the body gently and use a thin marine epoxy in the gap to seal. There are a few sites and YouTube videos with suggestions. If you see black mold, you would need to replace the luan (thin sheets of wood). You use clamps or braces to put pressure on the walls to get a good contact for the epoxy to seal. Obviously, water damage is not good.

As RVfromDe was saying, the other better fix is more expensive. Cut the fiberglass, pull it down, replace the luan, put up new fiberglass, paint match the new seams. Our quote was $17,000. We have several smaller bubbles on 2 sides.

Since it’s on a back seam, you might be able to peel the fiberglass away from the body gently and use a thin marine epoxy in the gap to seal. There are a few sites and YouTube videos with suggestions. If you see black mold, you would need to replace the luan (thin sheets of wood). You use clamps or braces to put pressure on the walls to get a good contact for the epoxy to seal. Obviously, water damage is not good.

As RVfromDe was saying, the other better fix is more expensive. Cut the fiberglass, pull it down, replace the luan, put up new fiberglass, paint match the new seams. Our quote was $17,000. We have several smaller bubbles on 2 sides.

Thank you for your input and suggestions, much appreciated!

Not yet. My 5th wheel is parked on a seasonal site and stays there during the winter. I will look at it more in the Spring and will try to get a few other seasonals to hopefully look at it as well. I am not a handy person so hoping to get some assist on this. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back