RV Make
Gulf Stream Class A
RV Model
Yellowstone 8357
RV Length
36'
TOW/TOAD
2010 Chevy Cobalt
My husband and I just bought a used Class A motorhome. The passenger side configuration from front to back is this: Co-captain chair on swivel base, Door/step well, Free-standing recliner, Slide-out Kitchen, Bathroom, bedroom. My question is about the free-standing recliner. I'm not sure if it came with the motorhome or not but I see tons of them online for sale. I can't tell if anything was mounted to the floor previously because the floor has been recovered with peel-n-stick tiles. (We'll be pulling that up shortly to put in a new floor which may reveal some clues!) The problem is when my husband had to get on the brakes driving it home (idiots on the Austin 183 Toll Road!), the chair slid forward falling into the wheel well and ripped off a leg to the valance on the window next to the door. Do any of you have any tips on a replacement for this chair that will secure to the floor (not for use while traveling - just to keep it from sliding) or some other tips to keep it from sliding? I thought about attaching a cleat to the floor at the edge of the step well so it couldn't slide forward, but that wouldn't stop it from tipping into the step well. It just seems rather unnecessarily dangerous. The sales brochure for this model says there's supposed to be a barrel chair there, but no one sells anything like that. Any advice would be appreciated!

My brothers fifth has two recliners in the living area. Seems I saw him tightening a strap for the chairs before he was on his way.

My brothers fifth has two recliners in the living area. Seems I saw him tightening a strap for the chairs before he was on his way.
That could work. It's just a really bad place to put an unsecured chair!

My fifth had a chair in it that was not fastened down. I don't think my 5 year old great grandson could have fit in the thing. Bet you can guess what happened to it.

What? anywhere in a motorhome?
Good point... but the configuration of the 8357 is just odd. The door separates the passenger seat from this chair, and next to it is the kitchen slideout. so when the slideout is out... it's just sitting there all by itself. No side table, no cup holder, no nothing. Just sitting there sticking out like a giant pimple on one's arse.

I’ve been seeing those unsecured chairs next to a wheelwell in a few motorhomes we looked at. I can’t recall the models, but I’m not a fan of mid-entry anyhow.
The chairs look like they came with it, but first thing I’d do is replace it with storage, a desk, something else. It seems like a bad place for a chair, there by itself with no accoutrements.

I was worried about our kitchen table and 2 chairs when I first got our coach. I thought there was no way those chairs would sit there during travel. WEll, 3 years later and they have never moved an inch!!! But those chairs are heavy!!

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 9
Wellllllll.We were driving out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas once when a car jumped a light at an intersection we were approaching (he didn’t notice the 36-foot ft “Bus” coming???? We had to slam on the brakes with everything she had ...EVERYTHING not secured (and a few things that were secured) in that coach flew forward, including the main slide, and a few cabinets burst open! The slide shifted forward about 2-3 inches. We were on the first day of a 3-week trip to see the solar eclipse.
So we figured we just have to use it with a slide in, for the rest of the trip. About a week later, we had a repair guy working on something else, told us to put out the slide and take it back in, and it would right itself and sure enough it did.
Just remember, you might be a great driver, but everyone else out there is idiots!
I’d never travel with unsecured furniture, and we used bungee cords on certain cabinets with heavy stuff behind them, despite the catches.

Latest resources

Back