Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Random Facts...Standard shift (manual) has gone for the most part but not in Class 8s. Unique Clutch Brake ..

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A buddy of mine who owns/leases several trucks back to FedX told me that there are tons of drivers on the road today that do not speak English and can not back up. He said some will get to a terminal and if backing up is required they will park and go inside to get someone to come out to back in their truck for them. These are the folks we are sharing the road with......eekkkkkksss

A buddy of mine who owns/leases several trucks back to FedX told me that there are tons of drivers on the road today that do not speak English and can not back up. He said some will get to a terminal and if backing up is required they will park and go inside to get someone to come out to back in their truck for them. These are the folks we are sharing the road
I have seen videos of these guys playing bumper trucks at truck stops. And just drive off..... their irresponsibility is incomprehensible....

Hopefully the Cool factor of being a Big Rig driver will return at some point and improve the driver pool. You can still make a decent living if you are careful as a O/O.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine who owns/leases several trucks back to FedX told me that there are tons of drivers on the road today that do not speak English and can not back up. He said some will get to a terminal and if backing up is required they will park and go inside to get someone to come out to back in their truck for them. These are the folks we are sharing the road with......eekkkkkksss
Supposed professionals? Fakes. This should not even be tolerated.

Some interesting details, I didn't realize that the straight cut gears in heavy trucks are unique to this application. Even the vaunted M22 Muncie Rock Crusher, from my hot rod days, used Helical gears.

Straight cut gears in cars were saved for Track only vehicles.

This said, the straight cut "Spur" gears are noisy. Possibly another reason Class 8 trucks are going Auto Shift, to quiet the truck interior and reduce the sound emitted from the truck.

Eaton 18 Speed

eaton trans.jpg

Last edited:
Several posts removed. Keep it kind and on topic. Thank you.

Here is a recent article on the switch to Automated Manual AMT and Automatic (Torque Converter) transmissions. The numbers as stated earlier are heavily in favor of AMTs.

I started selling commercial trucks in 1993. I sold International and Ford chassis into the wrecker industry. At the time International offered 13 pages of transmissions to choose from for class 7 and 8. You could really screw up a truck and make it almost unusable if you picked the wrong one! The book was thicker than a phone book for a major city. Shortly thereafter we got computers to spec the trucks with and the program would help guide you and not let you make so many mistakes.

Back then EVERY TRUCK I ordered was a straight shift. A few years later Allison Transmissions had a contest to see who could sell the most automatic transmissions. I sold over 1000 Allison Automatic transmissions that year! So, as a prize Allison Transmissions took me and my wife to the Bahamas for a week! From that year on almost every truck we ordered had an Allison automatic transmission in it. It was an EZ sale to the truck owners because they were all tired of having to pay for clutch replacements because of drivers that didn't know how to use a clutch. The Allison completely eliminated that expense. Today, the problem is even worse with inexperienced drivers, especially in class 8 tractors. Those guys have to be away from home for at least a weekm at a time and get stuck sitting in their sleepers waiting for loads to come available. After a while that $50k per year salary doesn't seem so attractive any longer. Both my brothers were class 8 tractor trailer drivers. I've heard all the horror stories first hand. It's not a good life style and if you talk to my wife who has been in the medical field for 30 years she will tell you that professional truck drivers do not live nearly as long as the rest of us for a variety of reasons. I'm glad I chose to SELL commercial trucks rather than drive them! ;)

Here is an interesting discussion about double clutching and why it is preferred over "Floating Gear shifts".

Latest resources

Back