Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Random Facts...Standard shift (manual) has gone for the most part but not in Class 8s. Unique Clutch Brake ..

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
If you have noticed that a trucker only uses the clutch on initial shifts from a stop. There is good reasons for this and the clutch is specifically designed to work this way.

The clutch has a brake, when the clutch pedal is depressed a friction brake is applied to reduce/eliminate transmission idler shaft revolutions. This avoids gear wear (grinding) going into initial shift into forward or reverse from a stop.

Just an interesting thought of the morning.. :geek:

If you push the clutch pedal all the way down to shift you are pushing it too far. The clutch brake is only for stopping the clutch plates (yes, two of them) and transmission so you can get it into gear without waiting a long time or grinding the gears. The recommended way to shift manual truck transmissions is to push the clutch in, take the transmission out of gear, push the clutch pedal back in and then put the transmission in the gear you want. One 'problem' is that the gears are non-syncro, so it is really easy to grind the gears. That was a good indication I was tired when I would miss a shift.......... That's also why the new trucks have auto shift and most don't even have a clutch pedal!

There are more Allison Automatic transmissions in Class 8 trucks than you would believe. This new generation of truck driver is younger, more female than before, and lots do not speak English very well. To overcome the driver shortages many companies have resorted to using automatic transmissions in their fleet to make the Class 8 trucks easier to drive. I read the other day that 70% of all freight in this country moves by truck. There is a shortage of drivers right now. How many? Over a MILLION drivers short of what we need. It's incredible.

They are removing the art and skill from everything. I think the brains of future generations might shrink from lack of use. Vehicles that require the development of skill to drive will be a thing of the past. Self docking truck next? :sick::sick:

The 2021 579 Peterbilt looks like a high end SUV inside. Note the lack of a third pedal and no shifter...and cup holders :) 2021 579 Peterbilt.jpg

Last edited:
They are removing the art and skill from everything. I think the brains of future generations might shrink from lack of use. Vehicles that require the development of skill to drive will be a thing of the past. Self docking truck next? :sick::sick:
Actually the next thing will be the autonomous truck. Driverless, electric powered. Did you realize that there is a company that has already logged over a million miles with autonomous battery powered vehicles? It's coming folks. Get ready!!

Actually the next thing will be the autonomous truck. Driverless, electric powered. Did you realize that there is a company that has already logged over a million miles with autonomous battery powered vehicles? It's coming folks. Get ready!!
:sick: :sick: :sick:
I drive because I love to and enjoy having developed the skill to do what many others can. I hold on to my truck, because, though old, I can drive i9t. It does nothing automatically except shift. If I had my way I would have the largest SUV available set up with manual transmission.

Here is a tutorial on using a clutch in a Class 8 truck.
Here the instructor talks about the clutch brake, non synchronized (straight cut gears) used in a truck and floating shifts (no clutch shifts). He does a reasonably good job for the novice student.

And shifting without a clutch

Latest resources

Back