• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Rattlesnake safety

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Last time I had instruction in this, the “current” thought was not to cut into the bite and use the kit, but rather use a constricting band (not a tourniquet) and expedite transport to a medical facility. But of course that isn’t always an option, so for plan B it’s good to have the kit. The problem with them was said to be that they often cause more damage and don’t actually remove an appreciable amount of venom. But they are probably better than nothing, so I’ve had them since I was a kid (never needed one though) and they haven't changed much in the last 50 years or so. Situational awareness is the best bet. I see several rattle snakes every year, and when I encounter them in the wild I give them a wide berth and leave them alone.

Like above food for thought. I live in the PA mountains, and YES we have mountain rattlers. On my back 10 on my property I have cliffs and ledges and I run across one or two big boys every so often. I have alot of snakes around crevice walls and alongside the shop. They don't bother me at all. Except for the rattlers, I don't want my three year old Lab Shelby tangling with one. If he's a big rattler..... then here comes the Judge.

I carry a Tarurs Judge light weight polymer revolver with .410 6 shot, shells and two rounds in .45 Colt loaded in the chamber. Just in case.

HH

Just remember what the article says "remain calm" because that will help reduce heart rate. Are you effing kidding me? I'll be in full in panic! You better send a helicopter STAT!

I carry snake tongs. You can get them off ebay. I have moved literally hundreds of rattlers in my life in Arizona. Had two in the back yard that almost got my dog. Skinned and tanned them and mounted on a nice board to hang on the wall. If they are in the yard or try to bite me when hunting they die. If not I just move them.

I'm more afraid about our dog. We have the Pygmy rattler that are very hard to see in the grass. Daisy is dumb enough to go and try to sniff or play with it. All it takes one bite, and she will be goner. That snake was just against our living room wall.

img_4392.jpg

Hmmm...I call our neighbor kid to relocate Gopher Snakes...Rattle Snakes ? Well, I'm afraid they would either need to slither way quickly on their own or become shoe leather. Not a fan! 🤔

Wait…what?

Born and raised east of the Mississippi River - never heard of a snake bite kit. Over the past couple months we have traversed across Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon.
Happy to report that my ignorance of rattlesnake geography did not result in any bites.
Like AbdRahim said, need to spend more time educating myself so we stay safe.
Yup. Try to stay away fromareas known for them critters.

I'm more afraid about our dog. We have the Pygmy rattler that are very hard to see in the grass. Daisy is dumb enough to go and try to sniff or play with it. All it takes one bite, and she will be goner. That snake was just against our living room wall.

View attachment 18980
I think I would be getting the gun out.

definitely worth having one in the coach. I actually take my snake boots with me because I cannot hear the rattle when I am in an area where there’s a high probability of poisonous snakes.
I was gonna say I wear my White's high lace boots. No snake kit here.

Latest resources

Back