Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Refrigerator Cleaning Outside of the Unit – The best way!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Old-RV'er

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3407
RV Length
34'10"
TOW/TOAD
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
Two schools of thought on this chore. You can use a compressor or canned air, it works, but you are directing high pressure (no more than 40 PSI on compressor) small volume to do this work. We stumbled on a better way, and boy did it work.

Use an electric yard blower, either 120VAC or battery, you do not even have to move it out, but take off the lower grill if it has one. Direct the blower to the bottom, and then the sides and brother watch the dust fly.

We did this (compressor in RV) annually at the beginning of our trip home every year when wintering in SW. but even if RV not used a lot, annually is still a good idea. The leaf blower gets everything and I mean everything the compressor misses, because it has a large volume of air at low pressure, so it dislodges all the old dust and stuff. You house/kitchen will be mess, but this will ensure the fridge will continue to work efficiently and not suffer heat buildup which will kill compressor.

The Fridge in the old RV was the best one we ever had, Amana household unit, was working fine when we traded in. Our home unit is coming up on 10 years old, and this will help it to live longer. Heat is the worst enemy of the compressor and coils, keep them clean, it will last longer, and run more effectively.

If you can get to any dryer venting, do that too, as lint buildup can and has caused fires. Our Newmar does not lend itsetl to cleaning it out well. But I check outside vent to make sure it's not cloged up with lint.

NOTE: If trying to clean Propane type, make sure gas is off, and unit is NOT powered on with AC. Since access is only from outside and top, do the best job you can, for thses units I would do it twice a year if possible, more exposure to outside dust and dirt.

NOTE-WARNING: One person said, that doing it this way, cause mice poop to be distrubed into an airsole, and he got real sick from it. So be aware, this could be issue. We did it at home today, hence my suggestion, I have not done it, in RV using this method, but I would wear a N95 mask or respirator mask if I had ever had mice in the RV (which we have-I will wear mask if I do this cleaning method), however, I did annually blow out the old RV refer using the compressor, so if mice, I did not have any afteraffects from it. If you have allergies this also might be an area of concern, plus if pets, lots of hair going to be thrown up into air.

Last edited:
Tried that once, never again!

It sure worked for me. The fridge is now so quiet cannot hear it run hardly.

Not a matter of if it works.

It does send dust and stuff all over, but it sure does clean, and better I get it out, than have to replace it. Although, that would lend itself to a side by side samsung, just $$$$$$$$$$$$. We have just about decided to put ours on market anyway. The campground issues, fuel prices, are pushing us that way.

Now you got it!!! Mice mess and forced air almost killed me in Nov. 2019.

No forced air, only vacuum for me.

Just put that out there as a warning ⚠️

Kevin, put NOTE-WARNING at bottom of original post to show concerns, with precautions to take. We do not have pets, and I keep bounce dryer sheets in all storage compartments, and no mice since started doing that. Grill now has nice smell to it.

Latest resources

Back