• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Refrigerator on battery

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ok, obviously, I’m new to RV full time life. I will be spending most of my time with full hook ups but I might want to boondock sometime. Let me ask the question another way. I would like to know how long I can go unplugged from the truck and no outside (shore) power.

If I’m parked Can I just unplug and keep track of the time until the refrigerator stops? Or will that damage a battery or something?

You never want to let the battery get below 11.9 volts. Otherwise, you risk damage to the battery. Repeated discharge to less than 11.9 volts will cause shortened battery lift.

If you are concerned, I would visit it the day before and place some ice in it to cool it down first. A few one gallon milk jugs filled 80% and frozen. Then fire it up in the morning of departure.

2-3 hours max is all you will get. I have a 2021 Forrest River with the same problem. It's not really for boondocking unless you want to hook up a generator and I won't do that. If we boondock we just don't use the fridge and go back to coolers and ice. Good Luck!

I never thought of the frozen jugs of water but that is an excellent idea. When we purchased our first RV we immediately began full time traveling so there was never a need to prep or get it out of storage.

I'm guessing 4 gallon jugs of frozen water would cool the frig down overnight nicely.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back