Forest River
RV Model
Palomino Puma unleashed 383ss
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
F350
Fulltimer
Yes
Would it be more energy efficient to have an energy star rated residential refrigerator instead of an rv refrigerator?
I'm going solar. Generator backup of course but I want the rig to be as efficient as possible. I know rv refrigerators can be propane powered but for the sake of not having to go inland to refill between trips what's more efficient? I haven't landed on a solar panel/battery bank number yet but this will help me. Give me your know how please. :)

Would it be more energy efficient to have an energy star rated residential refrigerator instead of an rv refrigerator?
I'm going solar. Generator backup of course but I want the rig to be as efficient as possible. I know rv refrigerators can be propane powered but for the sake of not having to go inland to refill between trips what's more efficient? I haven't landed on a solar panel/battery bank number yet but this will help me. Give me your know how please. :)
My fridge is energy star rated. Using an RV fridge (propane) on 12v for that matter 115 is not energy efficient. That being said any house fridge would be more efficient.

This is how to choose one for efficiency.
Read the yellow tag that should be inside or PDF if online. The annual energy usage is what you are looking for.

For equivalent capacity and options get the fridge that has lowest annual number. From that number you can divide by 360 and have average KW used per day. This will also help you with your system numbers when ready to build up your solar.

My fridge is 7.5 cf that replaced the RV fridge almost exactly. This fridge had the lowest number I could find. A 280 watt panel can keep it running if the rig is in as full sun as I can get. My solar capacity is 2000w so no problems here.

I installed a Samsung 18 cf stainless steel french door bottom freezer 'fridge in my motorhome a couple years ago. It's the best thing we've done so far!

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Latest resources

Back