Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tugtoot

RVF Newbee
planning a trip from Reno NV to Bigfork Mt. interested on routes and RV parks along the way. Thank you in advance

Thank you for responding. We'd like to travel about 4 hours a day. We have a 16ft Nash travel trailer and truck. Thinking 4 days to get there and 5 days coming home. Going to a wedding

I lived in Reno for many years and retired in Mont. in 2005. I've traveled both states and in between a lot. There are many ways to get to Bigfork and if you haven't been there before it is outstanding. There are also many places to visit around there.
The two that I would return to are Glacier Park. You won't be able to, or I wouldn't recommend taking the trailer though the park. Go over the "Going to the sun hiway", you will go over Logan Pass, there is a must stop at the visitors center at the summit. Continue east to St. Mary, then north toward Babb to the road that goes to Many Glacier. There is a lodge there that was built by the railroad that is worth seeing.
The other must see is the National Bison Range which is outside of Ravalli. There are two loops that you can drive, but I do not believe you can tow your trailer. There is places you can park it there. Take the long loop, around 20 miles of good gravel road and take your time and camera. Not only will you see many different species of animals the view from the summit is unbelievable.
I would from Reno go to Wells and take 93 north through Jackpot to Twin Falls, at Twin stop on the north end and view the canyon that Evil tried to jump across, you can still see the launch. North out of Twin to Shoshone, the Shoshone Ice Caves are interesting, not sure if still open. Continue north to Ketchum (Sun Valley), to Stanley over Galena Pass and onward to Challis/Salmon, over Lost Trails pass, (think Lewis and Clark). At summit of Lost Trails a side trip to Big Hole National Battlefield. Then on to Missoula down the Bitterroot Valley and continue to Bigfork.
I would return through the Carters of the Moon National Mon. or over Lolo Pass (think Lewis and Clark) to Grangeville, take hiway 13 out of Kooskia, (shortcut). South to Riggins, New Meadows, McCall into Boise to Winnemucca.
There are many camp grounds and RV parks along the way both going and coming.
Hope this helps, if not it will give you some ideas.
Have a safe and good trip,
Jim

Jim, Thank you for your time and recommendations. This will be out first trailer outing.
Bob and Family

Latest resources

Back