• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replacement locks for basement & front door

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You mean RVs come with keys? Looked all over the trailer for a set and couldn't find one, that's funny.

You grew up in a different neighborhood.?

Interesting but that doesn't surprise me. I'm not the most paranoid in the bunch so for me my thought is if someone has a key, i.e. they have a motorhome, and they have a need to be unlocking and going into my basement they have real problems and I really don't think there are that many, if any, out there that would break into a fellow RV owners coach. Maybe I'm jaded and wrong but I'm also certified lazy and don't want to be changing all of those locks out. I did change my entry door lock to the stainless one from PTL mainly for looks but my understanding was it also had unique keys but @Dutch Star Don said that wasn't the case but I thought my old keys did not work in the new lock.

You do know that the key situation is not just basement doors? I think it applies to the entry door other than the deadbolt. As much as I hate to put that on the web, I got that from the web, so it is what it is.
Good info. Would have never thought that. Wonder if we can rekey the locks? I have a class A and the basement locks and door locks suck.

If a determined thief is prepared with keys, and prepared with other less delicate tools of the trade (crowbar), unless the items contained in the basement cost more than a new door, let the stuff be at risk with a less than perfect lock set.
A step up is the circular locks available for basement doors. Just don't loose your keys. No dealer can help you with them nor will you easily be able to get replacement keys.

I protect stuff from the casual thief or nuance teenager, to make it more difficult to walk off with stuff.

People I protect with much more secure methods, not necessarily more expensive.

For the Main Door here is some info:

For instance one of my buildings has Kwikset dead bolts. You, with some practice, can open these faster with a pick than a key. A simple $10 part fitted over the inside of the lock mechanism makes this locks 100% pick proof. The limitation is that you can not open the lock even with a key is the latch devise is employed.
However, a simple flick of the finger unlocks the door from the inside. People inside are somewhat safer from an intruder. If no one is in the building these lock devices are not employed.

These are steel doors as well.

My $0.02... :)

I looked at replacing the core but you need a special tool/key to get the core out. I got sidetracked and never looked into the tool.

Latest resources

Back