RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
I set up a North Trail appointment to replace the washer in the coach with a Splendede unit. The soonest they could get me in other than drop the coach and wait two weeks or so was a month and a half off. Not wanting to subject the coach to their "care" for an undetermined amount of time, I finally decided to give it a try (how hard could it possibly be? :rolleyes:) Since ours is in the back bath behind the toilet, it wasn't looking good, but I am sorry to say, I really don't trust a service department to take the same care as I would. I imagined getting it back with walls and corners scuffed with another visit required to repair.

I removed the dryer, and the vent hose was so short, I really don't see how they hooked it up. The dryer was relatively light, so no problem getting it out and on the bed platform, but it IS attached to the washer with two aluminum plates that are screwed to the units. The washer is actually made of lead, I believe as it weighs somewhere near 180 lbs. With my persistence, a little help from the DW, and a floor jack, I got the washer over the toilet and we transferred to a hand truck to get it to the front of the coach. At that point, I had to call in a favor from a good friend (the only one I know that's young enough to not be half crippled) to get it over the passenger seat. I strapped half of a 10' extension ladder over the steps and slid the unit out to the ground. The Splendede was actually a little lighter, so we carried it up and got it in it's nest without much drama. I replaced the dryer vent hose with a longer piece, built a platform out of scrap wood to line up with the top of the washer so I could hook up the vent without having the wife do it while I held the dryer. All in all, it went smoother than I thought it would, although if I have to do it again, I'd probably take a trip to Nappanee.
20220204_140343.jpg
20220204_140351.jpg
20220204_140354.jpg
20220205_123614.jpg

Nice job and yeah, no fun! For anyone trying this at home, you can unbolt the toilet and slide it towards the wall. There is nothing under this toilet, plumbing is on the aft side. I think the part I'd dread most is getting it out of the coach. Watching a RV tech pull mine in Naples he too commented on the dryer hose. I believe Newmar does this from the outside via the dryer vent for access. My tech used a longer hose on the reinstall, not sure it's the right answer but it's done.

Great job! It takes guts to take on a project like that.

Helped a friend change out his combo unit in his MH once. It was heavy. Mine is in relatively good place to get too. But it might be sold, and we are done if it is.

Latest resources

Back