RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4081
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
This happened yesterday.

For the reason shown below, I did put the Retrobands on the new coach. Since we experienced a tire disintegration (not a blow out) in 2012, I’ve had nightmares about how we would have fared if we had been next to a ravine like these folks.

1adf5de39b11917e0522f2fc3182ac84.png

Pundits have talked about why you don’t need a crutch like the Retroband. “Just accelerate to regain control and gradually come to a stop”. Having been there and done that, I can promise you it is hard to do with zero rubber on the rim.

7797f464550ba8e96e2a2a1777d84072.jpg

0745f058a56b9786ec015bbd4facd224.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That’s enough to convince me. I am getting retrobands installed when I visit NIRVC Vegas.

Mine are being installed right now at NIRVC...

My only concern if there is a tire change in the future. How does a truck tire shop get info on how to work with the retroband? Do they have to call nirvc?

Had to look into that post. Not much info regarding the cause or secondary factors. And hard to tell the age and condition of the tires, but the coach is older, for sure.

So, not to discount the value of the RETTROBAND...HOWEVER...

I’ve listened to the presentation from the inventor and CEO of NIRV and STILL, the most important things for tire safety are:

Maintain AND MONITOR correct tire pressures. TPMS is highly recommended.

And

REPLACE tires EARLY; before they age-out. Most will agree that Michelins should be on a 5 year rotation for the Fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Tyrons on the front, which I purchased when we took delivery on the coach, mostly because of point of purchase scare tactics. I just had North Trail change the two front tires as a preventive measure since the coach is 4 years and the tires are about 5. I was going to have them remove the Tyrons because of the difficulty changing tires when they are on there, and the possibility of having to replace one on the road with no dealer having the jig they use to compress the tire to get them off. Since they were already installed (and paid for) I decided to leave them on and deal with any mounting problems IF they occur. Changing tires with Tyrons adds another 175.00 per tire BTW. (disclaimer: I understand Retrobands and Tyrons are different systems, but both cause issues when changing tires. I agree with the Capt. G, monitor pressures and don't wait for cracks to be visual before replacing. I plan on fronts every 4 years and rears every 6.

Tires do fail, we don't know the brand, care, use, or background of them. The OP mentioned case who knows. I think in the RVer space there are different types of RVers from those that let things age to those that are diligent to spend the money and care for their coach and their personal safety more diligently. I have faith in Michelin's, there are a lot of vehicles riding on them out there (RV's, trucks, etc. - not including cars) that I sure would hope the failure rate is extremely low otherwise I wouldn't have them on my coach as we speak. I feel safer flying jets than I do driving a motorhome, I figured this is what would do me in but I do it and accept the risk. Will I go 5 or 7 years from the DOT date on my front tires I'm not sure, I'm not sure I'll change at 5 years, likely at 7. That's just me. I have zero issues with the cost of the tires but I don't believe in waste either. They are excellent durable tires and I keep my eyes on them, use TPMS, stay on top of proper inflation, etc.

I would consider retrobands over tyrons but it's still a lot of money and A LOT of things in the RV industry as many have heard me say prey on the retiree's money. What a business tactic but it works. I would like to know the impact of retrobands on tire changes and what's involved for those that know but again, I'm likely not going to spend what it cost to replace ALL of my tires to protect the front two outfitted with top of the line tires - thank you Newmar!

I think in the RVer space there are different types of RVers from those that let things age to those that are diligent to spend the money and care for their coach and their personal safety more diligently.
Boy howdy! I weigh the coach 4 corners every year at Gaffney and am over cautious replacing worn/ damaged items. We know a couple who moved out of a 4br s&b into an older Winnie 38' for 2 years. They did a couple trips a year to Chicago from Ft. Myers. Never had their coach weighed, don't think about tire age and not sure he even checks pressure, no tpms of course. I can tell you from visiting them that coach is severely over weight with every corner stuffed with things from the former house. I've pleaded with him to weigh it but it falls on deaf ears. His wife is VERY frugal and I don't think he wants to find something he'll have to take action on. I pray they don't become a statistic.

Latest resources

Back