Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Certainly a good thing to know. From what I'm told average time of ownership of a RV is 4.3 years.
That is my feelings. I personally replace the steer tires at 5 years from DOT, usually the same year I sell the coach. I replaced them in the winter when tires are cheaper and more available (at least in Texas) and then drive them until July when I sell.

Retrobrand can be transferred between RVs, so you can have them removed prior to sell or trade in.

Its all a matter of risk vs reward, and your comfort with each. I personally will not buy Retrobrand, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. This is more of a personal decision vs a right or wrong.

A surge protector is clearly necessary for all cases, and yet many do fine without one. Draw your own conclusions.

I LIKE TO ASK WHEN are the new ones coming out and why is it taking so long for the replacement
I have no direct knowledge, but knowing Brett Davis as I think I do, I strongly suspect testing and validation are the long poles in the tent currently. Brett does nothing half-assed, and he will not bring version 2.0 to the marketplace until everything is locked down tight.

As stated, the above is my opinion, nothing more.

Based on the emails I have gotten, it would appear they are testing now or will be soon. They are very proactive about communications.

“Due to the Pandemic, after months of waiting to have Version 2.0 of Rettroband tested, we’ve finally been given a time frame from the Nevada Auto Testing Center (“NATC”) for when Version 2.0 will be tested. Up until now we’ve been told “we’ll get you, when we get to you”.

Now the bad news. We’ve been told the “2nd week of November” is when Version 2.0 of Rettroband will be tested. When I sent my first email, Rob and I, honestly thought we would have already been tested, but it was not to be.

Also, U.S. military testing takes priority over all other testing at NATC. Should the military decide to test some of their vehicles, our date could be pushed back.”

NIRVC Rettroband 3rd Update: Important Information For All Rettroband Owners!
IMPORTANT RETTROBAND UPDATE:​

Dear Rettroband Owner,

Unfortunately, this is going to be another good news, bad news email, thanks once again to the persistent, and lingering effects of the Pandemic. Now, I’m certain all of you are as tired of being frustrated, and inconvenienced by the effects of the Pandemic as I am. And, I certainly don’t enjoy writing about it, or trying to navigate a business through it. But, enough of that.

Here’s the good news! While the Nevada Auto Testing Center (“NATC”) was incredibly slow in getting around to testing our Rettroband Version 2.0, they did however finally test our Version 2.0 the second week in December. And, the results of the testing were virtually the same as they were for Version 1.0, including NATC using the same coach. The only difference was the speed at which the blowout occurred. However, due to the Pandemic we were not allowed to be present during the testing this time around, so I’ll report the results exactly as I received them:

“Results good, blowout at 55mph, could not get vehicle to 60mph, had full control of vehicle with no lane change wander, then travelled a total of 11.7 miles reducing to 30mph before tire fully shredded, but Rettroband still intact.”

The NATC’s inspection and reporting process is currently underway, which will culminate with them issuing to us a report, along with videos of the blowout. In the meantime, we wait patiently.

As a refresher, our Version 2.0 has two improvements from our Version 1.0. The first improvement is a change in the material used. Version 1.0 was made from a Polyurethane composite, which was very good under compression, but unfortunately, we learned when overtightened it wasn’t good at stretching. And, since we couldn’t insure every installer would take the necessary precautions to avoid over-tightening, we changed from a Polyurethane composite to a hardened rubber composite. The second improvement we made was the addition of a stainless steel band inside each half of the Rettroband. This stainless steel band will act as a torque brake to prevent over tightening.

Our CNC work continued a pace while we waited for NATC testing. If you remember, we intentionally chose a coach with a short wheelbase, and a long overhang behind the drive axle for testing our Version 1.0, because we felt it was the most unstable coach. As I mentioned above, we used the exact same coach for testing our Version 2.0. Due to this fact, the first Rettroband Version 2.0 size we produced for the test was 255. Following the successful testing of our Version 2.0 we prepared tooling for the 295, 315, and 365 series using the exact composite ratio as was tested. In Australia factories closed December 18th for their annual Christmas holidays, and didn’t reopen until January 11th. Fortunately, we had a very committed skeleton staff who were willing, and anxious to keep us rolling. So, our tooling was completed, and production has begun for all the sizes mentioned above. Production for sizes smaller than 255 will commence shortly.

Now for the bad news.

Prior to the Pandemic, vessels operated by our shipping agents would originate in Southeast Asia, where the bulk of the ship was filled, and then sail onto Australia, where cargo for Australia was unloaded, and new exports loaded before proceeding across the Pacific to Long Beach, CA. However, the United States has imposed many new taxes on Asia, and when coupled with the very small export market from Australia as a result of the Pandemic, everything has changed. Shipping lines make their money by filling their vessels. Now, the origin of shipping has changed. Ships originate out of Australia, then sail onto Southeast Asia where they dock, load, and when full, proceed onto the east coast of the United States, and unfortunately to New York City.

Now, the problems start again with wharf disputes, and logistics out of New York City, which have taken the total shipping time door to door from 49 days to 74 days, or more. Compounding our shipping problems, is the fact, sailing cut offs have been reduced from six per month to now just two, or less. From all of this, I trust you can imagine the frustrations from our end. The solution we finally arrived upon, which is also why this email update has been so delayed, was for Rob to disband the contract with the shipping line/agency group we have been using, and seek new alternatives. Rob succeeded in generating a new contract on January 13th with a United States based line, which can give us Brisbane, Australia to Long Beach, California in 48 days, but still only three cutoffs per month average. Luckily, the three cutoffs per month are sufficient for us book ahead freight passages we can meet.

However, the painful reality is... shipping times are a variable dependent on the enthusiasm of so many different contractors between Rob’s factory, and our five locations. This reality renders it impossible for us to project, and schedule appointments at this time with any degree of accuracy. Notwithstanding, we are steadfastly committed to replacing your Rettrobands ASAP!

In case any of you are wondering, we have used airfreight sparingly in the past for emergencies, and we’ve checked into airfreight again, unfortunately it’s still not so easy. Before the Pandemic there used to be multiple flights a day across all carriers. American and Delta are now starting to take bookings again, albeit not many, but at least they are returning, and they certainly do get to name their price! Prior to the Pandemic the rate for air freight was $3 per kilogram. Today it’s $14 per kilogram, plus additional charges we’ve never seen before. Please keep in mind, we’re talking in excess of 14 tons for just the replacement Rettrobands. For what it’s worth, before the Pandemic the cheapest, and fastest airfreight was Hawaiian Airlines, however, like so many other airlines, they no longer fly to Australia due to COVID. However, we’ve been recently advised they are scheduled to restart their service in late March.

In closing, I want to make one thing very clear...

Rob and I want to replace all these Rettrobands ASAP, and put this chapter behind us! This has never been an issue of money. In fact, we reserved in our financial statements, plus set aside the necessary funds for all these replacements last summer when we made the decision to replace all the Rettrobands. The pain, or the financial “hit” if you will, was taken by us months ago. Again, we’d rather sleep well than eat well.

Finally, there will still be one more update email from me. When we can start scheduling appointments with certainty, you will receive my final email on this matter requesting you to please schedule your replacement appointment.

Safe travels, and all the best,

Brett Davis

Reading another thread here on Rettroband reminded me I wanted to discuss this topic. The question is are Rettrobands worth the cost. Here is why I would say NO.

From what I hear the cost of Retrobands are around $3500 to $4500 per set according to the link below. Obviously this is for the steer tires (front axle) on a Class A Motorhome. Let's call this $2,000 per tire to keep the math easy.

I'd say motorhome drivers keep their steer tires for 7 years from the DOT date. Some maybe shorter or longer, I don't know. Feel free to share your opinion on when you are going to (or do) change your steer tires. What is the cost of a tire and feel free to consider a tire discount program such as FMCA. I believe the price of my Michelin XRV 305/70R22.5 is going to be around $650, I really don't know as that's only what I've heard but some googling on the web for online prices it's around $850.

The question is how often can you put brand new tires on and run on new tires up front instead of using Rettrobands at the same value? It seems to me you could replace your front tires every 2-3 years with that same money?? The counter to that is this is an upfront investment if you do get Rettrobands assuming they will last through several tire changes at 7 years per tire?

Help me with the economics of something this expensive that could be spent the same on new tires instead.

Just my two cents worth. I agree with the comment made by another person who replied to this post. What we purchase is "peace of mind" in exactly the same way we purchase life insurance. It is a bad investment unless we need it. It stands to reason that the company has found a price point that will support their product. Tire manufacturers have a human element in their supply chain like all other manufacturers. that said, they are subject to the same probability of human failure, human shortcuts, human intentional sabotage, as well as human dedication to performing their jobs to the best of their abilities and "going the extra mile". The roadways are cluttered with all sorts of tire hazards that can puncture a tire. The roadways are cluttered with a high number of careless drivers. Even though I try to pull into a rest stop whenever I feel weary, there are times when I don't have the concentration and focus that helps keep us out of harms way.

If I chose not to do something that ended up with extraordinary disaster, pain and loss, I would feel terrible for choosing to save a mere few thousands of dollars over the loss of my home (I'm a full timer) and possible loved ones as well as injuring others that may just happen to be around me or destroying the property of others. Just because we buy new tires long before they have reached their full life span does not ensure that we won't have a catastrophic failure.

But, I'm also believe the statement that there are unscrupulous venders out there that prey on our fears and ignorance. That's been a problem ever since the snake was able to convince Eve that living in paradise was not good enough for her. I try to be active in the RV forums that exist as a way to counteract the evil of unscrupulous marketing. Knowledge is power. and there is strength in numbers. If we all just share our thoughts and fears, we may not be able to change the world, but we can educate ourselves and hopefully find a way to determine what is necessary and what is not necessary in our lives.

I looked all over the web and could not find any concrete information about the cost of retrobands or any of their competitors. I have my ideas why that is.

I'm curious about how many RV owners actually had a blowout event. As an example, if there were 500,000 (I have no idea what the actual number could be) RVs on the road today, is 50 blowout events over a 5 year span an insignificant number? I'm willing to bet that it's not insignificant to those that had the event. I wonder how old the tires were that were involved in an event like that. I wonder which tire manufacturers sell the most unreliable tires and where my tire manufacturers are on the spectrum of best to worst. I wonder about how many blowout accidents have happened in the last 10 years and in the last 5 years. I would think that there have been technology advancements in tire design and material as well as production processes. So a recent sample might be able to take those advancements into account. I wonder how many blowout events ended in tragedy even though retrobands had been installed. There's just so many factors that contribute to these events that it's hard to get a grip on whether or not retrobands (or any of their competitors) really work in the real world or if its merely just another idea that looks good on paper.

Retrobands and others are like investing. How much risk are you comfortable with. There is a balance between the theoretical extra safety, in the event of a blowout, the risk of a blowout, and the cost of the mod, vs the cost of a catastrophe, that they may avoid.

There are too many variables to calculate a universal answer. Truck drivers blow tires all of the time. Of course most of their tires are not new, and companies push them to the limit.

On a motorhome, I change the tires at 5-6 years regardless of condition. I know that guarantees nothing. Perhaps it lowers the odds of catastrophe? Who knows. Nothing in life is really guaranteed.

Catastrophic failure is always possible, defect, obstacle in the road etc. The chances are low for these, but they do happen.

When my dad was in the hospital, I was on my way when a truck dropped some glass off of the back while entering the highway. Cut my back tire and a tire on the vehicle behind me. Fortunately, no damage to either vehicle other than the tire. However, the tire was completely destroyed. This only happened in 50 years of driving. So small percentage.

So one could say the longer I drive the higher the chance of something happening. I say my prayers and hope all will be well. One could go broke accounting for every possible contingency. Yes, if money were unlimited, I would likely buy it all, but many have to draw a line somewhere.

The odds may be 1,000,000/1 in ones favor, but of course for the one like may be ruined. However, this is no different than crossing the street or eating at an outdoor cafe.

To each according to comfort or pocketbook.

I've had a medical thing come up that has prevented me from making my appointment, but I had plans to install new steer tires and rettrobands last month.

I mostly travel on roads with no shoulders, and whether it's a blowout on those, or at higher speeds on the interstate, if it decreases the chance of a catastrophic accident, it's a small price to pay. If it reduces a blowout, even if a rare occurrence, to a tire change rather than a 20k bill and months at an RV repair shop, that's a bonus.

There are a few recent examples of Rettrobands keeping people safe that I have read on other channels.

While at the Newmar service center recently , I saw a late model Dutch Star that had suffered a blowout on the drivers steer. The whole left side was trashed from riding a guardrail. Who knows what further catastrophe was averted by the guardrail.

While driving along I-90 in SD in June I came upon a Prevost with toad that had run off the side of the road and was sitting a good 75 yds into the adjacent field. The owner recently posted about it on another forum. Passenger steer blowout. He’s having Rettrobands installed as soon as he can get into NIRVC.

I attended the Newmar International rally last month. While there, I ran into Brett Davis and Chuck Lasley and discovered I could have Rettrobands installed there. I drove home with them installed.

Here is a very powerful video of the effects of having Rettrobands on your vehicle.

In my mind, the issues are risk assessment and mitigation. I am not comfortable that I can control 51,000 lbs of motorhome riding on an aluminum or steel steer wheel. The likelihood of having to test that isn’t great, but I’m not going to risk myself, my wife, or my dogs to find out.

Last edited:
Been waiting for that video to get posted. At least Brett and his Retroband partner put their money where their mouth is with this test, and drove the rig for the simulated blowout.

Latest resources

Back