Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A couple of additional factors to consider in the risk vs. benefit analysis that have not been explicitly mentioned:
a.) Whether the Rettrobands void your tire warranty. I was recently told by a truck & RV tire dealer (that I have high regard for) that if you install anything (including balancing materials) inside of Michelin RV tires, the tire warranty is void. Obviously only affects steer tires. May vary by tire manufacturer.
b.) One of the letters from Brett Davis posted here stated: "... we intentionally chose a coach with a short wheelbase, and a long overhang behind the drive axle for testing our Version 1.0, because we felt it was the most unstable coach.". Rigs with this geometry apparently have a higher risk of instability after steer tire blowout.

Note, I am not arguing for or against Rettrobands - I am simply pointing out additional considerations in the analysis.

I put them on my rig prior to cross country trip (VA to NV to GA). DW is a nervous passenger on a good day, hyper nervous when minor issues pop up in route, and off scale when major issues occur. A blowout with a negative outcome event would likely end our RV ownership experience. I looked at Retrobands as another type of insurance to help mitigate damage if a steer blowout incident occurred.

I am on the fence as to what to think. Yeah, there's peace of mind with any safety device and I've seen a lot of the RV industry marketing on fear. I'd really like to talk to someone at Michelin RV for example to see what they say about "stuff inside tires". Tires, I'm guessing, are designed to have an air cavity and they engineer how temperatures are mitigated and how tires should flex. Some third party comes along and decides to fill the cavity with something which a tire manufacturer has not tested against. Can safety devices contribute to failure or a shorter lifetime of the tire? I don't know but these are just questions I have with my engineering brain having to analyze anything and everything. Tire blowouts have been and always will be my biggest fear in RVing. Same with is an old tire that's been good for 5-7 years better than something new and unknown? When are tires failing? What are the stats? Are they in the initial 1-2 years or later in life? Again, I don't have the data.

I don't have the data.
Yes data would be wonderful, although full data is often lacking in many of our decision.

Never thought about affect on warranty. The last time Ireplacrd a tire, they putbalancing beads inside, instead of the tradition balancing. Now I wonder.

Last edited:
I will get them when I replace my drive tires…. $3600 for peace of mind? I spent more than that on my lithiums…why wouldnt I spend it on my rig to potentially save many thousands in damage should I have a blowout? Also, what is worth to give my better half peace of mind? This is her biggest fear. Priceless.

Loved that they tested them like that and captured the video.

What I wished they did was test it on a unit with a single rear axle and shorter wheel base. Tag and tandem axle units are known for being more stable than a single rear axle.

I agree that the video is well done and compelling. Does leave me wondering if it is something that we should install.

Neal makes some interesting points here. Having the RettroBands installed on the new Dutch Star. Got a helluva deal on them. So the price is taken out of the equation. Please don't ask I had to sign a non disclosure agreement....
Conceptually, RettroBands are a great idea, if there is no downside to tire life....

I am on the fence as to what to think. Yeah, there's peace of mind with any safety device and I've seen a lot of the RV industry marketing on fear. I'd really like to talk to someone at Michelin RV for example to see what they say about "stuff inside tires". Tires, I'm guessing, are designed to have an air cavity and they engineer how temperatures are mitigated and how tires should flex. Some third party comes along and decides to fill the cavity with something which a tire manufacturer has not tested against. Can safety devices contribute to failure or a shorter lifetime of the tire? I don't know but these are just questions I have with my engineering brain having to analyze anything and everything. Tire blowouts have been and always will be my biggest fear in RVing. Same with is an old tire that's been good for 5-7 years better than something new and unknown? When are tires failing? What are the stats? Are they in the initial 1-2 years or later in life? Again, I don't have the data.

I put them on mine, safety comes before cost

Wait a second. @Joe Goodxrvn are you saying you have a new DS? You know the rules on RVF. Pictures required of a forum member that gets a new coach or the forum popo will be knocking on your door. Congrats.

Wait a second. @Joe Goodxrvn are you saying you have a new DS? You know the rules on RVF. Pictures required of a forum member that gets a new coach or the forum popo will be knocking on your door. Congrats.
X100!

Joe’s been conspicuously absent for a while here. It’s good to see @Joe Goodxrvn posting again.

Latest resources

Back