Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I agree about keeping your tires new-ish and proper inflation, but brand new tires can blow out, too. I put new tires on my old Mini Cooper (not run-flats). Two months later, I was on my way home from work, highway speeds, when a piece of metal came flying off a truck a few cars ahead of me. No way to avoid it, as there were other cars around me. Blew out my front passenger tire. I was able to control my car and got safely off the road. Lots of damage to the undercarriage of my car. I don’t think anyone could properly control a motorhome in that situation. I installed Rettrobands for just this reason,

Not sure this link will work, but front tire blowout on a 40’ Monaco...

I would be for Rettrobands at half the current cost. As mentioned, I can replace my front tires about every other year at that price point and have fresh tires for safety, a complete waste of course.
Warm up that 3D printer, buddy.

Warm up that 3D printer, buddy.

Printing tires as we speak :)

I swear, when I got into RVing my biggest fear was this and that I survived combat in an A-10 would a RV do me in??

With retro bands, do you still inflate to the same PSI? I would think so, you’d just need less air to reach the same pressure as there’s less volume for the air to fill within the tire since it’s now mostly retroband, and so I think the pressure would climb faster when filling?

What I was told is yes. Same pressures based on tire and four corner weights.

Newmar Owners Group on Facebook shows a video posted today where the retroband failed in the tire causing the tire to fail. There was no blowout, this was a 100% retroband failure within the tire.

@Neal I am not on FB is it possible to copy the excerpt of the incident from FB?

Here is the video: click here

Here is the pic posted of the retroband failure:

rbandfailure.png

As ugly as it was, at least it wasn't catastrophic. Looks like the driver easily maintained control while bringing the coach to a safe stop. That said, I am not a particular fan of Retrobands.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back