• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

widdershins

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Four Winds 23U, ex El Monte rental
There is a rather spirited discussion about this in the TOAD forum: Roadmaster Exact Center Mostly centering (see what I did there ;-) around the ability to backup a TOAD, which is certainly interesting... I'm not sure if it's $500 interesting to me though.

Thought I'd start a thread for discussing installation on coaches. I've been eyeing a safe-t-plus and Roadmaster reflex for a while. My primary goal is to control the coach during any unforeseen pucker moments. If it helps with driving, side winds..etc.. that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

As I was ready to pull the trigger, I reviewed current options and saw the Exact Center. Concept sounds intriguing. Limited lifetime warranty brings warranty on par with safe-t-plus (in theory). I have other Roadmaster products and they so far have stood the test of time.

I should have one next week.

what did you think of the exact center? I am trying to decide if the exact center is a better option than the Safe T Plus. Looking for any opinions out there. 35 foot fleetwood 2015

I haven't received it yet, should be here next Tuesday. I'm not going to have anything to compare to, this is my first coach and will be my first 'fancy steering stabilizer'.

I will definitely add some notes about the install and how it affects steering compared to factory.

Exact Center arrived today, got it installed. The instructions are a bit brief and not really the best. For example they refer to the bracket that attaches to the steering arm as an 'Axle bracket'. The instructions for adjustment also leave a lot to be desired "A left pull can be corrected by shortening the unit; a right pull can be corrected by lengthening the unit."

What they don't tell you is how to shorten or lengthen the unit. I watched several videos from both e-trailer and roadmaster that show how to adjust.

So far I drove it out of the driveway and around the block and it was pulling to the left. Pulled back into the driveway and I moved the bracket to to drivers side a tiny bit. Took it back out and it was pulling a tiny bit to the right, I'll adjust that tomorrow.

I drove down a surface highway for a couple of miles with 20+ mph side winds, hardly noticed the wind. The steering feels different, it's very subtle and the centering force is gentle and so far very unobtrusive.

I need to try the official adjustment procedure (as presented in videos) and get more miles on it. So far It's pretty darned nice, I seriously didn't notice the gusty wind and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it prior.

Took it out this morning for some fine tuning before it got windy again. A couple of adjustments, a few miles on mixed road up to 60 MPH.

Once the adjustment is close, fine tuning becomes a matter of whether you feel like you are correcting to one side or the other more often. I'll keep a wrench in the coach for on the road changes next trip if I think it's necessary.

The centering force is noticeable but not excessive. When you return from a turn you can feel when the exact center is no longer helping. I learned quickly that I can't just let the wheel return on it's own, takes a little more control to avoid abrupt return to center. That was an easy adjustment.

It takes a bit more force when negotiating curves, however it also feels extremely stable.

Road variances that used to require somewhat quick and constant correction (lots of crappy roads out here ;-) have been moderated greatly. I'm still gently guiding down the road

I added another washer to the bolts that hold the ends, I don't like running a bolt up against a bracket without a washer and they only included 3 washers and show them on the end that attaches to the steering. The tube ends up very close to the steering bracket so watch clearances.

So far this seems very much worth it. Next trip I'm going to encourage my wife to take a turn at the wheel.. in a parking lot perhaps.

E-Trailer attempted to clarify the adjustment via this: How To Adjust The Roadmaster Exact Center Steering Stabilizer For A More Comfortable Ride | etrailer.com

That's a huge improvement from the videos, I'll take a stab at further simplifying.

When you install the device, have the ends with about 1/8" of space between the jam nut and the Exact Center (EC from here out ;-) body. This will allow you to adjust the EC shorter or longer as required.

How close the steering is to properly centered when installing the EC will determine how much (if any) fine tuning is required. I would recommend if there is a significant pull either direction, re-adjust the mount to true center. If you were to drive straight 100' or so on level ground, hold the steering wheel there while loosening the u-bolts to allow the EC to get back to center then re-clamp.

The end goal is to have roughly the same gap between the jam nuts on either end and the EC body without exceeding 3/8" of total gap on either end.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it ;-)

Widdershins - that was a great run down of your experience, thanks. My 2 cents worth would be my experience with installing a Safe T Plus on 2017 Canyon Star, 26000lb chassis. I wouldn’t say it was easy but it wasn‘t hard either. I thought it was a great product and customer service was excellent! after I was alone installing they asked me to send them pictures of my work so a technician could look it over. They got right back to me and told me I had switched a bolt around the wrong way, easily corrected. I had never experienced that kind of commitment on an after market part before…. Outstanding. I now have a 2022 Bay Star and I’m sure I will install another STP.

Latest resources

Back