Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Route I 40 in late Nov/ early Dec: NC to Las Vegas. Doable, or snowmagedon awaits?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Old Bubblehead

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Entegra
RV Model
Cornerstone
RV Length
45'
Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins 605 HP
TOW/TOAD
2019 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Looking to attend AIM rally in Las Vegas early Dec. Traveling NC (Roaring Gap) to Las Vegas, with return trip to Atlanta mid-Dec. Was going to run most of the way on 40. Read some recent threads about snow early and often in NM and further west. Dropping down through Texas to eventually pick up 10 adds about 500 miles but would prevent a major attitude attack from DW should we encounter a snow event in transit.
Would appreciate thoughts/ comments/ experiences preferred routings....

Thanks
j

It varies year to year. I hit snow between Albuquerque and flagstaff two years ago. Other times no problem. Texas got schwacked last year, so you just don’t know. The key is to remain flexible and unflappable.

I would stay south as much as you can. I am going to Florida in December from Las Vegas so I’ll head south pick up the 10 to the 20 and then head south again to the 10 into Florida. They say the 10 between Louisiana and Texas has a fair amount of construction and bad road conditions. Watch the weather no matter what route you use. I use an app on my phone called drive weather which gives you an idea of what to expect.

I would stay south as much as you can. I am going to Florida in December from Las Vegas so I’ll head south pick up the 10 to the 20 and then head south again to the 10 into Florida. They say the 10 between Louisiana and Texas has a fair amount of construction and bad road conditions. Watch the weather no matter what route you use. I use an app on my phone called drive weather which gives you an idea of what to expect.

Thanks, will check it out. Need to give DW a job for the trip, and she will fixate on weather anyways.

It varies year to year. I hit snow between Albuquerque and flagstaff two years ago. Other times no problem. Texas got schwacked last year, so you just don’t know. The key is to remain flexible and unflappable.
Thanks, I have both routes mapped out. discretion is the better part of valor, so i will flex as needed to keep peace in cockpit.

Latest resources

Back