• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV areas along coast of California

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Is thousand trails or other membership programs worth joining for Ca RVing. We are picking up our new 40 footer next week and started looking into camp ground rates and are experiencing a bit of sticker shock. What kind of rates do you all actually see up and down the coast or in the redwoods?
Thanks

I wouldn’t joint any membership camping outfit, and my few experiences with Thousand Trails have been suboptimal to put it politely. I am in Harvest Hosts because one night at a HH spot can pay for the whole year and I’ve had some very pleasurable experiences at wineries and farms. I also have the golf course add-on because after hours these are almost always quiet, they are well kept and secure. I dont golf, but I like the option of having more nice quiet places to stop while on the road.

I rarely go south of SF on the coast, but have always had good luck from Bodega Bay north. Reservations are a must these days, but there are plenty of parks in the $50-$75 range all the way to Crescent City and beyond. Union Landing is a really nice ocean front SP CG and if you go during the school year on week days, you should be able to find a nice spot. There are actually three CGs in the park, the northern most being the nicest and also the smallest.

Westport Beach RV park is a decent private CG that will accommodate your rig but its become popular so again, reservations needed. You might not like the stretch of HWY 1 from Union Landing to Garberville - its a bit of a skills check, but taken slow and easy not too bad.

On my next trip I’m taking 299 over to the coast from Redding and starting at Eureka then heading north. Less work and I havent been up there in a while. I made some reservations because I dont want to have to hunt and take a less desirable spot/CG, but it should be a nice tour, all 50amp pull through sites, and nothing over $60. We‘re taking a guide boat to do some rowing too - putting a rack on the jeep for that.

I didn't have any trouble finding nice spots in nice parks just two weeks in advance, but the time of year is in my favor. If it was a summer trip I’d probably plan six months or more in advance. Wrights Beach is another one I didnt mention earlier (or maybe I did…?) in the Sonoma County Parks system, and again, nice spot on the ocean but its close to SF so reservations and needed well in advance.

Thanks Rich
Appreciate the input. We will have a nice ride up the coast on our maiden trip from So-Cal so may stop by a few CGs along the way to check things out. Have a great trip yourself
Rusty

If you do please report back. I would like to know more about options on that stretch. There is a big private RV CG next to the state park in Pismo - the state park is much nicer, but the RV park has its benefits too. I also spent a nice night at Emma Wood State Beach. No hook-ups, first come first camped and all that, but right where the Ventura Hwy hits the coast, so maybe worth a look. And then Morro Bay has a RV park (Morro Dunes ?) right on the water at Morro Rock. Thats about all that comes to mind right now for the stretch between Moorpark and Monterey but I know there’s more to explore. I’d take 152 over to 5 from there to avoid the bay area.

Edit: Found this finally Home Sites $65 for full hook ups. Its a giant converted parking lot, but it looks like its improved over the last few years and you cant beat the location.
This is the one in Pismo Beach: Pismo Beach RV Park | Pismo Coast Village RV Resort Looks like its improved since Ive been there too and its still reasonable $69-$79.

Latest resources

Back