• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV conundrum

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
$45,000 is not enough to buy a dependable Class A diesel pusher that you could just jump in and head out west without a care in the world so I'd go a different route.

$45,000 is not enough money to buy a late model used diesel pickup truck (have you priced them lately???!!!!) and a late model 5th wheel camper BOTH. So, you'd have to skimp on the truck or the trailer. If you skimp on the truck you may wind up on the side of the road or worse in a shop that knows you're out of town. I'd skip this route too.

For $45,000 I would get a nice used late model gas powered pickup and a bumper pull camper. Both should be fairly nice and you'll have a stress free vacation without the worries of mechanical failures if you buy good vehicles.

Yes, newer diesel truck are costly. I wouldn't buy a newer one. My son, a certified Chevy mechanic, said newer ones are not as good. So far two new ones are in for rebuilds. They are having real problems. My duramax with just under 100 thousand miles ran like new and never gave any trouble. Finding one isn't easy. And diesel motorhomes under $100,000. Could be a problem. 5th wheels in Florida, if you can go there, can be found at reasonable prices, you have to look. A friend bought a 40'er for under $25,000. Looked like new and still does after 4 years. Never had problem one with it. Lady lost her husband and had to get rid of it. Still had stickers on appliances and counters. There are deals out there you have to look.

Yes, newer diesel truck are costly. I wouldn't buy a newer one. My son, a certified Chevy mechanic, said newer ones are not as good. So far two new ones are in for rebuilds. They are having real problems. My duramax with just under 100 thousand miles ran like new and never gave any trouble. Finding one isn't easy. And diesel motorhomes under $100,000. Could be a problem. 5th wheels in Florida, if you can go there, can be found at reasonable prices, you have to look. A friend bought a 40'er for under $25,000. Looked like new and still does after 4 years. Never had problem one with it. Lady lost her husband and had to get rid of it. Still had stickers on appliances and counters. There are deals out there you have to look.
So IF you found the needle in the hay stack and found another lady who just lost her husband and she sold you an almost new 40' 5th wheel camper for $25k then you'd have $20k left. I just sold my 8 year old gas powered Ram 1500 for $15,000 TO A DEALER. He'll probably sell it for $18-$19k. You'll probably never find a 2500 diesel that is in good shape (low miles) for $20k unless you find a SECOND needle in a hay stack. I was assuming you wanted real world advice here and not some story book fairy tale. It sounds like you didn't really want someone's advice, you just wanted someone to agree with you. :ROFLMAO: My advice for $45k is still to buy you a nice gas pickup and a nice bumper pull camper and have fun. OR Up your budget. You're not allowing for any contingincies if you go the diesel route.

We are in the planning stages of a cross country road trip this summer, camping, enjoying many of the state and national parks across the country, including places like Yosemite and Glacier, some time in Utah, a few other places. Probably about 2 solid months. Our conundrum is, for a $45k vehicle budget, do we a.) buy a 2007-2010 Class C rv, and pull one of our cars for mobility when we are there, or maybe do the same but not pull one of our cars and be stuck where the Class C can go and park, OR b.) buy a used pickup truck and travel trailer to do the trip. The 45k is only the vehicle budget, not the rest of the spending budget. Either way, the camper unit will be used quite a lot, not just for this one trip, but we are huge campers and tent camp multiple times a year so whatever we get will get used for years to come. We thought about renting one but 10k+ for renting an RV seems like a waste. At some point, the camper may end up on a piece of land as a vacation unit for us, between camping trips. Opinions on which option?
You get the most usable space and cargo capacity with a crew cab pickup or SUV pulling a travel trailer. Trailers provide larger fresh, gray, and black water capacity and easily replaced propane tanks, etc.

The pickup can be used all year long and not only when towing the trailer. The advantage of the pickup if a cap is installed over the bed, is that you can take bicycles or kayaks or a small boat or put firewood and extra fuel in the bed of the truck. Most travel trailers can be towed with a 1500 class pickup or a medium size SUV.

It depends on how you like to travel. We have encountered many couples pulling little Burro type trailers with a small SUV or station wagon and they were very happy and did not need AC or a big screen television to enjoy their time.

We are in the planning stages of a cross country road trip this summer, camping, enjoying many of the state and national parks across the country, including places like Yosemite and Glacier, some time in Utah, a few other places. Probably about 2 solid months. Our conundrum is, for a $45k vehicle budget, do we a.) buy a 2007-2010 Class C rv, and pull one of our cars for mobility when we are there, or maybe do the same but not pull one of our cars and be stuck where the Class C can go and park, OR b.) buy a used pickup truck and travel trailer to do the trip. The 45k is only the vehicle budget, not the rest of the spending budget. Either way, the camper unit will be used quite a lot, not just for this one trip, but we are huge campers and tent camp multiple times a year so whatever we get will get used for years to come. We thought about renting one but 10k+ for renting an RV seems like a waste. At some point, the camper may end up on a piece of land as a vacation unit for us, between camping trips. Opinions on which option?
I am a huge fan of hitch pull trailers. I am of the mindset that less is more. I think 4 on the ground is better than 6.
Half ton trucks get better mileage numbers but have there limits. I would rather spend my discretionary income on attractions than on vanity items or fuel.

Make your pick according to your mindset, not others opinion. You know what they say about opinions. Matters little what others think about your choices only your happiness matters.

If you do your research you can find a brand new crew cab 3500 Dodge Diesel for about $40k with a small trade-in.
I agree 8-10 hours in any vehicle, including a Class A, is intolerable, especially with a large dog. They need to get out every few hours, which gives the driver a break.
I think you were right to get a Class A - a lot nicer to cruise in and people can get into the bathroom while driving, etc. Just be careful that you stay within the max weight for combined vehicles and also make sure the hitch can handle what you are trying to tow.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a truck and a tow along. I have a Newmar BayStar 37' and fell in love with the luxury but have to rent a car or tow for transportation. When you buy there is an inspection group that is certified and they will tell you if it's in good shape or not. I can't remember the name of the certified inspectors or the link but someone here will I am sure. Would be the best money spent before buying your unit. Hope this helps!

Latest resources

Back