Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TundraRockwood

RVF Newbee
Having RVed with several different RVs on-and-off over the last 3 decades, I must share that the best thing I have ever added is to recently acquire a quiet RV-rated 3200W generator. I keep it strapped down in the box of my Tundra. I gives me A/C anywhere (like in the blazing sun at the truck stop when I pull over to make lunch and have a nap). It powers my fireplace heater when the propane furnace can't keep up (I RV in Canada). It charges my 2 deep-cell batteries when they're dying. And other benefits. Best addition to my tackle :)

? What kind of RV?
Mine has 6000 watt one from the factory that runs anytime we are driving in warm weather. It's a 38 foot class A with dual AC units. For quieter times and more modest needs I have a quiet portable 2000 inverter type generator which has proven itself able to run one AC unit. It's also small enough to fit in a cargo bin and just light enough I can lift it in there.

It's a 2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature 8329SS.
So 29' box, 34' overall.
The Gen Set is a Subaru RG3200iS, a lovely unit.
There were 2 AC units offered on the Rockwood, the 3,500 BTU and the 4,200 BTU. Mine has the smaller device, so the Subaru has no issues starting it.
I don't use the generator often, but it's nice to have when I need 110v :)

Forest River makes everything from modest pop-ups to full on Class A's. Without looking up that exact number it appears you have either a fifth wheel or a bumper pull. Since you mention a Tundra then I guess a bumper pull?

Anyway, interesting generator. I wasn't aware Robin-Subaru was still selling generators. I thought they were sold to Yamaha. Good stuff either way though.

My AC's are mismatched. The 2K generator purrs running the old 13,500 BTU Penguin but has to work noticeably harder at higher RPM's to run the newer 15,000 BTU Brisk 2. Oddly enough the big noisy onboard Onan generator seems to run more happily when running both AC units rather than just one. Never been sure what to make of that.

Latest resources

Back