• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV lot owners-What was your motivation?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I don't think anything makes sense financially when it comes to this way of life, but I love it.
It does seem to roll back to that. YOLO, Carpe Diem, etc…

We have established residency in FL with our deeded lot. Taxes require you spend 6 months of the year there to make it "legal". Taxes, registration electrical rates, etc all much cheaper than where we escaped from 3 years ago now. Your mileage will vary depending on your specific circumstances but it has worked well for us.

Prior to the DSDP purchase we had considered a RV spot in Maine or Montana to change residency for six months and avoid big sale tax charge on new motor home.
Maine made more sense for us but ran out of time To get it done.

Going forward we might consider a spot for Summer trips but as stated prior, there is still a lot of country to explore yet

Thanks @NWIP. It does make more sense from a fulltimers perspective. I was speaking with one of the mgrs here and learned that some folks buy in order to establish FL residency, so I can see an advantage there.

Do you rent your place when you’re not occupying it? Rents here in FL are pretty extreme IMO. The nearby Camp Margarittaville is now at $5K/mo, which blows my mind. I’m sure points further south are the same or more.
I agree rents are getting expensive in Florida. I do not rent my lot out as the summer market is somewhat limited. If I was not wintering on the lot I probably would rent out.

I had already established FL residency back in 2017 prior to retirement.

About three years ago I bought an rv lot with a beautiful casita in Franklin, NC. Loved the area, the small park etc. Financially it was not a bad deal.
The problem I had was that I bought an RV to travel, not stay most of the time at one place. So I sold it last year for a nice profit.
If I was going to stay a full timer, I would have kept it. Mathematically it made no sense once I bought a home.

Last edited:
We have owned a lot at Desert Shores in Indio for three years. Why do we own it? We want out of winter up in the Bay Area (yes I know its not really winter) but for us we wanted a nice warm sunny place (by the way it is almost 80 today) to go to as a base of operations. I have my storage unit here as well. So we run all of our trips from here and it is easier to have a home base where you can have your coach outside for trip provisioning and the casita gives us some breathing room to work, have meetings etc during the day. The casitas here are more like houses ranging from 1200 to 2200 sq ft than which seems bigger than other places we have visited. Here is a video Andrew Steele did on Desert Shores last week.

Thanks for the view into a totally different world! Not for me for sure, but a great vacation!!!

Let's stay on topic and reply with content related to the OP's post please. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back