• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV Park for Full Timers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've read his post 5 times and I'm still trying to figure out what you are talking about? Or is this a joke that I'm to dense to understand?
X2

I've read his post 5 times and I'm still trying to figure out what you are talking about? Or is this a joke that I'm to dense to understand?
Kevin has left the building so we may never know, but I’ve read similar statements from him (recently IIRC) about certain types of parks he chooses to avoid which is why he said he prefers to boondock.

I know I’ve driven through a few and decided to keep going even if it meant overnighting in a rest area. And I’ve stayed in a few questionable parks that turned out to be ok. You just have to follow your gut and put your experiences and preferences to work to make the decision. But we all discriminate - that is the decision making process.

You're not alone. I can't see what offended him either.

Darrell

There is definitely a demand depending on the location and the type of fulltimer. For instance when I visit family in NC, my only option was Lake Norman Motorcoach Resort in Sherrills Ford, NC. Most of the people there lived full-time due to work (laying pipeline, fiber optics, roadwork, construction, etc.) So they may stay for 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.... The owner decided to put tiny homes in most of the sites, leaving some fulltime sites and about 4-5 sites for Class A's. All the people that lived there had to find a new place to park with very few options.

So when I think about your question, I immediately think of a park (321 RV Park) that I stayed in for a month. It was located in the country (Maiden, NC). It is mostly always booked and they have recently done or are still doing a big expansion based on need. Most of the people there are in 5th wheels, travel trailers, etc and a few Class A's come in and out, but mostly the people that live there fulltime are there because of work or they are building a home in the area. As most of the renters are working, the rates are reasonable for working class individuals. They charge a daily rate of $55, weekly $300 and monthly $600 or $700 (premium site) plus electricity. They do require a $150 deposit which they refund once the final electric bill is paid. There are no real amenities. They did have a picnic table at each site and the sites were very close to each other. The sites on the new expansion should have more space between each site. They made a couple mistakes when building the first sites which they have learned from.

I believe the owners have done an amazing job with this park. They are fulfilling a much needed niche. I don't typically stay at a park like this one; however, I needed a place to be "close" to family for a month and couldn't get into LNMR. The park is pristine and they do not put up with any nefarious activity. Although there is no "office" or someone to greet you, they are around and reachable via text. They text you the code to the gate prior to your arrival. They pay attention to who is there and someone was in fact asked to leave due to what looked like suspected drug activity. What impressed me the most about this park was I NEVER saw dog poop anywhere. The people that live there care about the property and seem to look out for each other. That is one type of fulltimer.

Then you have someone like me that doesn't typically stay in one place more than 2 months unless I need to be near family. Having said that, this year will be first time I'll be "wintering" some place. Should be interesting.

Good luck with the glare. LOL.

Classism is alive and thriving in the "RV" world. I know, I am one of the despised class. My rig is older and I used to work retail. Now I am babysitting the overly neurotic rescued dog who has decided she can't be left alone for more than 3 hours before she starts singing the dirges of her people. My daughter who lives with me still works retail.

Neal thinks people like my daughter and myself are "... extended stay tenants ... are typically run down campers turned into permanent style facilities, etc. with shady tenants that are probably avoiding bounty hunters".

Since Jim owns an RV park, perhaps he can tell us how to neaten up and do repairs on an RV when it is parked 24/7/365 in an RV park that doesn't allow ANY repairs? Especially a repair that will take a couple of days to do and the owner either doesn't have the money to put the RV into a shop and live in a motel/hotel while it is being repaired or there simply is no reputable place that will work on the rig within a 100 radius. Can't leave to find a place to work on the rig because they got to be at work. Or is the response to "buy a new RV"?

Since Jim owns an RV park, perhaps he can tell us how to neaten up and do repairs on an RV when it is parked 24/7/365 in an RV park that doesn't allow ANY repairs? Especially a repair that will take a couple of days to do and the owner either doesn't have the money to put the RV into a shop and live in a motel/hotel while it is being repaired or there simply is no reputable place that will work on the rig within a 100 radius. Can't leave to find a place to work on the rig because they got to be at work. Or is the response to "buy a new RV"?
Only advice I can offer is, "Don't take it to NIRVC". :)

It's unfortunate that some first don't have a sense of humor, but stereotype yourself as the worst of the full time extended stay campers ever seen. We've all traveled at one point or another and we've seen stuff at campgrounds. Some people are extended stay for various reasons, some are unfortunate and it's sad, some do so for work, I met a fellow that changed strobe lights on the top of tall towers. I think that's about as dumb as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, but that's what he uses his RV for. He'll go to locations for extended periods of time for work. Many have their reasons, not all have to consider they are the dregs of the RV society.

But I'll further explain my point going back to Jim's question about extended stay and where I was going with it and how I learned that people avoided these locations by the rules of contributions to this map that was created. Also to show how some prefer to stay at locations that don't offer that type of RV living, for whatever their reason. I personally don't care and make no effort to avoid it. Once upon a time @turbopilot created a Premium RV Parks map which is now accessed from this site. He set out rules for submissions to the map as you can read here. It's nothing against anyone but some have their reasons and that's what I wanted to bring to Jim's attention. Jim also owns rentals and has seen the bad side of bad tenants sadly.

There are good extended stay and there are not so good such as I saw on my first big RV trip through the Rockies at a location in southwest Colorado where the caravan leader told us to lock our basements as the kids of the permanent residents were going around to coaches and stealing things.

If you wish to take it personally, that's up to you. If you can step back and realize there are some concerns to be had out there in various locations, we all need to be aware of our surroundings. I've seen bad areas in campgrounds with dogs that scared me, and I avoided the section. Is what it is. It is reality.

As to ARD - she's chief troublemaker and yes, she's probably on the run. I almost got evicted from a campground hanging out with her and her group singing and dancing late into the night! Traumatic!

X3

Latest resources

Back