Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
A Mobile Must Have video popped up in my YouTube feed and he referenced a comparison chart on their web site so I was curious and took a look. I dread the question "which roof antenna do you recommend" as this is a very tough question. I've used many, MANY antennas. I'm very pleased with the cellular performance of my Parsec Husky's I have now and have no intention of switching. Wi-Fi isn't great but neither is the location for Wi-Fi below the roof, inside the coach as expected. Anyways, on this web page, half way down is the antenna comparison reference which links to the PDF below.

One note: I watched a video on aircraft construction recently on using a ground plane with a component (elt) and the builder mentioned that in order for a ground plane to work the coax connection had to be on the other side of the ground plane. Many of us seem to think just mounting the antenna on a piece of metal is a ground plane. If this aircraft builders tip is true, which came from the ELT manufacturer, then we're doing it wrong. The antenna/coax connection has to go through the ground plane so the coax connection is made on the other side of the plane per this info. I haven't researched it as my antenna does not require a ground plane but for those that think you're creating one you may be doing one that's null and void for ground plane effectiveness if this is true.

Attachments

• Antenna_Comparison_Chart.pdf
    394.1 KB · Views: 18
Did you find 7ft long enough, or did you go with 15ft?

Did you find 7ft long enough, or did you go with 15ft?
I got 15ft on both, which I needed for the front. I can't remember if 7ft would work for the rear AC into the half bath. Obviously shorter the leads the better, measure what you need. If I did it over again my front unit would not include Wi-Fi, only 4 x 4 cellular. Rear unit is the only one I have Wi-Fi connected to. Front Pepwave uses paddle antennas for interior wi-fi. If you look on the Parsec web site there are a ton of configuration options. I found the one I wanted, googled it to see who sold it, bought it (think from MMH).

The plane builder was right (I was one for many years) . I did few ground planes on my fiberglass plane.
Some from thin aluminum sheet metal, and one from 3” wide copper tape with adhesive on one side. The tape was made for that purpose. As a basic guide for the size of the ground plane was: The length of the antenna used as a radius to draw a circle. The transponder stubby was about 4”, so the GP was8” circle. The ELT antenna was 2’ and needed about 4’ ground plane etc. The antenna base ( shield side) sits on top of the GP and the BNC connector below. Basically the GP contacts only the antenna braided wire shield. Me thinks🤔

Latest resources

Back