Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I do not know how to pack light. I'm a confessed pack rat. If I was to go fulltiming someday I wonder if a stacker is in my future. The problem is obviously the toad but also having to deal with campgrounds and where to store a stacker, I assume some may even charge for storing it as it probably needs a storage spot or site of its own. If you have a stacker, show it off, let's see what you're using it for and what's inside, how you have it arranged, etc. I'd love to learn from those using stacker trailers how they are using them.

I think part of the fulltiming lifestyle is simplifying as much as possible. Would a stacker add to my stress of the RV lifestyle?

This is my stacker and my previous coach

Attachments

• 9F866140-4D80-47C7-9E10-1A5B32B8533F.jpeg
    9F866140-4D80-47C7-9E10-1A5B32B8533F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 0994F938-5187-4C4C-951E-B4F28DBA0559.jpeg
    0994F938-5187-4C4C-951E-B4F28DBA0559.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 372
I never owned a stacker, however my recently sold enclosed trailer-toad measured 31' from the front tip to the rear. I have two buddies with stackers who are at our winter site now. One is about the same height as his coach and the other one is about 4" taller than his coach.

The only added "stress" it could possibly add IMHO is maybe maneuvering with the extra length. Obviously you would need to find camping sites that were pull through and long enough as a first choice. However, three or four times a year we needed to spot the trailer in a separate area and then back into a site with the coach. For us it was just a matter of more pre-planning but we were also over 73' long. If you had a stacker and kept your total length under 67 or 68 feet it would be easier for most.

I’m 75 feet long 13-6 tall with that rig. It’s not a big deal with a little planning. I would guess about half the parks we stay in we have to unhook but it only takes a few minutes. Parking lots are the bigger issue, you don’t just roll into a grocery store parking lot without planning. Most Walmart’s make it easy if you go into their truck entrance. Fuel is truck stop only. Too many height/length issues otherwise. I rarely travel without my trailer, I get to bring all my toys wherever we go

Reactions: Jim
Dave, just curious. Did you keep and repaint that stacker to match your new coach?

I have it wrapped to match.

One thing we learned was when stopping in rest areas we had to be extra careful. We were 3 to 5 feet longer than the commercial semi trucks that parked around us. One "ratty" looking rig would have hit the front of my coach leaving his parking space because he cut it too close plus I was pulled forward a foot or two further than him. I was just extremely lucky that I still had the coach running and was able to hit reverse and get the brake off in time to back up. From that point on I was really careful when temporarily parking in rest areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back