• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved RV won’t power on

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I found battery light says it’s low. What battery is this.
I turned generator on now. Battery from E to 1/3.
RV inside outlet still have no power

Sounds like you have a problem. TJ&LadyDi is correct. Go back to the basics. First, since this is a motorhome unplug from the pedastal. You have two battery systems the engine and the house batteries. People interchange these terms but my terms should be self explanatory.

Can you start your generator? If not start your engine then start the generator. Your house batteries are dead. You need some charge. Running the engine will charge your house batteries. While the engine is on test your house lights. It sounds like you ran your heater and drained the house batteries. With the generator on you should get power everywhere. Again, back to basics. You have two types of voltage 12v and 120v. You have equipment that makes these operate independently.

If your generator starts and you get power, your shore power is an issue. Could be a bad power cable, power outlet or the automatic transfer switch is bad. It could just be a fuse. Its very possible something was on and the pedastal spiked your power and you could have blown your main 120 fuse. Your still ok. With the engine running your batteries will charge and you will get your 12v system but not your 120v system. I am betting you do not have an inverter and the lights are trying but the house batteries do not have the juice. Verify the batteries have water. Since this is a new coach for you, you probably have not changed much from factory so again I am assuming you have lead acid batteries.

One more quick check. Find your fuse box. You have a Thor and I am hoping your fuse box is like mine. Look at the box and see if anything lights up Mine has a blown fuse indicator for both the 120v side and the 12v side. I am hoping its your main fuse as this would solve everything. Your main fuse would lock out your converter/charger and thats what charges your batteries. Obviously this would be the simpliest fix.

Just realized that last picture is a GoPower switch. Do you have solar? House batteries will eventually charge when the sun comes up.

Last edited:
First I suspect that most of your lights are 12 volt lights. These lights will run of your aux battery (located under the entry step). There should be a main battery shutoff which needs to be on, your aux battery will not charge with this switch off. Three ways to charge the aux battery
1. Shore power or generator supplying (120v) converted to 12v via a converter/charger
2. Vehicle engine running, charged by engine alternator
3. Solar panels if installed. I see you have a solar charge controller so do you have panels on the roof?

There is a transfer switch located somewhere probably close to the power cord plug which basically allows for the different sources to connect to the coach, but only one source at a time. So either shore power, generator or aux batteries will power the coach. Transfer switch could be at fault here if shore power or generator doesn’t provide power to coach.

Found the problem of my RV. All the breakers are at OFF position. Be honestly, I don’t even know what the Through here on all the vacuum all the vaccines arebreaker is. I am not handy at all. I have not changed a light bulb for over 2 decades.

Time to buy a book for first time RVers. That is unless you have a servant quarters in that RV.

May I suggest: Once you are all squared away get a neighbor or another friendly camper to go all through your RV with you teaching you all the important things about how your RV works.
Also if your RV is brand new, sit down and read the manual and look at the diagrams

Jack L

Prob solved. Dealership go through how to use RV with us again. It’s just one the day we bought it, it was very late at that night and we don’t have much time to go through everything

Latest resources

Back