• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RVing with E-Bikes

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Brought home the first bike today - Specialized Turbo Tero 3.0 set up like a Vado, but a 29er with some other special attributes. I have some minor mods to make (of course) and some items to add, but here is the Boss’s bike in all her brand new e-MTB glory:
1629D310-FD93-4DB6-9B1C-274F5AE6C353.jpeg

Merry Christmas to us!

My “new” e-bike rack that is actually parts from a cheap bike rack I bought used on Craigslist for $40 for the vertical parts, and an old hitch-mounted cargo tray/bike rack I’ve had for years.

The new 29’ers were too big for the tray but I wanted the weight capacity and security of it, so I combined the two, modified the bike mounting locations, welded every joint, and added hitch tighteners so it doesnt rattle and bounce around. Also added a 4” hitch riser to move it back and up a bit. Lastly I added lights because the bikes obscure the jeep taillights too much.

Not sure how much of this I’ve posted elsewhere but here’s the more-or-less finished product. Also the dropper seat post (a new concept to me) on the dark red bike allowed me to mount the bikes facing opposite directions which was helpful. And since they are different sizes, I custom fit each bike location to the specific bike.
0DFFB6EF-E938-4FB3-9134-6796B5B9F2D1.jpeg
6F8CACA0-6FC1-450A-BECA-12DA4A9C5826.jpeg
3C9AE41E-5448-4130-9E0A-01F72AC094B2.jpeg

0D407E2E-08F2-490F-86C8-5B20D6BF0555.jpeg

Nice job, Rich!

Excellent work, looks like aftermarket seats on the bike?

Nice work, make sure they are locked up as if that bike rack was Fort Knox!

Consider a 2-channel (forward/rear) dashcam in your toad so you can also have dashcam monitoring of the bikes. I have one in my toad.

Excellent work, looks like aftermarket seats on the bike?
Yes, the OE saddles are nice but I don’t think I’ll do a lot of racing so I swapped them out for something a little more comfort and liesure oriented - and with a little spring since these are hard tail bikes. Also changed out my pedals and grips and added a mirror and rear facing radar that syncs with the bike display.

Nice work, make sure they are locked up as if that bike rack was Fort Knox!

Consider a 2-channel (forward/rear) dashcam in your toad so you can also have dashcam monitoring of the bikes. I have one in my toad.

I bought some heavy duty lock stuff but anyone with a cordless grinder and a panel cutting wheel could defeat even case hardened locks and thick steel cables. So….prevention. And where we are now, there is absolutely no threat of theft, but I’ll carry the locks when riding into town or leaving them unattended. They will also set off an alarm and call my phone if they are moved while parked, but that may not be good enough.

I forgot, I also have this on my bike:

This is my rear facing radar for aproaching vehicles
It was $150 a couple weeks ago. It links with the bike computer. They also make one with a camera that records like a dash cam. Garmin Varia RCT715 Rearview Radar with Camera and Tail Light | The GPS Store

Latest resources

Back