Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Safety cables...how do you attach to MH?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neemer

Crayon Eater
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I know you’re supposed to attach safety cables to the frame of the MH vs the hitch. How do you do that? I have the coiled cables by Blue Ox and I’ll have to get something else as they don’t stretch far enough.

If you have pics of your setup, that would be helpful.

How long is your tow bar? Blue OX coiled cables are very long. I have hard time believing they do not reach? Can you post photos of your setup?

My rig is in the shop so I cannot take any pics right now. Perhaps I’m mistaken, but those cables don’t seem to be long enough to reach the frame. But let’s assume they are. How do I attach them?

5F641837-997F-4957-B4D7-E2ECFA2DF207.jpeg

Not my vehicle, just a photo I found on the internet. I do have the BlueOx system, though. They hook to the baseplate, cross under the towbar, then to the hole in the plate next to the receiver on your coach. They stretch. A lot.

Buly,
I have an "Anthem" tow bar from Blue Ox. It is longer, and the "cable set" is about 3/4 uncoiled when connected to the coach!
20191019_092007.jpg

If they are truly too short (as were the non-coiled cables on our Ventana LE), you can buy short extension cables with loops swaged on each end. I used 15" ones with screw-links on the coach end and bunjied the extension cables to the receiver to gain the length needed. My safety cables were not coiled, however, and I doubt that you will need extensions.

TJ

I know you’re supposed to attach safety cables to the frame of the MH vs the hitch.

I always had attached to the loops next to the hitch. Wasn’t aware that there was another way.

IMG_0329.jpg

The two loops on the sides of the hitch (like the photo above) are for the safety cables. Thats how
i do it.

I always had attached to the loops next to the hitch. Wasn’t aware that there was another way.

View attachment 613
Yes, that’s how I’ve been doing it. However, I’ve read elsewhere that the cables should be hooked to the MH’s frame in case of a hitch receiver failure. That makes sense to me. I’ve seen pics of hitch failures. The hitch receiver breaks and the toad and everything else goes wherever it wants to. With the breakaway cable affixed to the hitch, there’s nothing to cause the toad’s aux brake to do its thing. I figured out how to hook the breakaway to the frame, but haven’t broken the code on the safety cables yet.

The receiver is actually part of the "frame" as it is either welded or bolted to the structural members. Any other attachment point on the structural members will be subject to similar (but very unlikely) failure potential.

I just went out and looked at the hitch on my coach (Spartan K3/500 chassis) and found that it is secured directly to the frame rail extensions on each side with four 3/8" Grade 5 bolts. Any alternate safety cable attachment points would have to rely on similar (or less robust) methods of attachment. The tow bar attachment to the toad, and the tow bars themselves) are far less robust that the receiver attachment. The odds of a failure there are significantly greater than the failure of the receiver mount.

We all need to be proactive in checking bolts periodically and looking for other potential failure points, but after my personal inspection of the hitch receiver on my coach, I don't think there is anything to worry about there. YMMV

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back