RV Model
36 Mobile Suites
RV Length
38'4"
TOW/TOAD
Ford F350
Fulltimer
Yes
Hello, my name is Chris Ogden, I'm 73, single and have a terrific small dog named Hopper. I was fortunate in my life to be able to do a lot of cruising on sailboats up and down the east coast, the Bahamas, the Caribbean down to Trinidad and the Washington State/British Columbia area. This RVing is all new to me and I have a lot of questions and surely will have a lot more. Next week I'll be taking possession of a '16 DVR and a '18 Ford 350 dually and will be heading north from Mesa AZ. Frankly I'd like to develop a relationship with someone of great experience RVing who would be interested in acting as a consultant. This would provide me with time gained expertise in what gear is must own, how to plan a trip, which campgrounds are best and which ones should be avoided and on and on. This might be perfect for someone with years of RV experience who is now pretty stationary or even done with RVing due to age or health. If you're interested write me at [email protected]
Thanks.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Chris! We "graduated" from a boating lifestyle to RVing about 11 years ago and never looked back. Some of it is similar except you don't "break out another thousand" (B.O.A.T.) every other week for expenses, only about every month. Ask away on here with your questions or send members private messages. There is a ton of experience on this forum.

Welcome from Georgia!

Welcome. Question, What do you envision as camping. As an example, when cruising did you spend your stays in port in a slip, or at anchor? You can do the same example cruising the road in RV.

I agree with Kevin. Just because you have an rv doesn't dictate how you will feel comfortable traveling.

More questions for you:
1) do you plan your travels or move with inspiration?
2) what parts of the America's do you plan on spending time?
3) what activities are you looking for at your destination?
4) when things break, do you tend to self repair or call in for repairs?

There is no wrong answer here, but it will quickly help us to give you advice that is best suited to you.

Welcome. Question, What do you envision as camping. As an example, when cruising did you spend your stays in port in a slip, or at anchor? You can do the same example cruising the road in RV.
Thanks for the 'welcome'. My time with sailboats and a couple trawlers was spent most often anchored out and seldom in a marina. The exception there was a winter I spent recently on my trawler in Victoria BC which I really enjoyed. So I guess the answer to your question is that I'll just have to wait and see. I'm comfortable being on my own, don't need a lot of people around, or, based on my Victoria experience, in a nice marina on the seafront of a nice city. I will probably start out with an RV resort and then try different levels of camping as my self reliance increases looking forward to some stretches on my own boondocking. Clearly any advice is welcome as this is a whole new world. I'm initially bound for Sedona (resort) and then up into CO or Idaho to see how well the RV camps. Might keep on up to Montana if all goes well and depending on how long I choose to stay in any particular spot.
Chris

Welcome Chris! We "graduated" from a boating lifestyle to RVing about 11 years ago and never looked back. Some of it is similar except you don't "break out another thousand" (B.O.A.T.) every other week for expenses, only about every month. Ask away on here with your questions or send members private messages. There is a ton of experience on this forum.
Thanks for the welcome. To your point, I come to this RV world having just terminated an effort to buy a 50' sailboat. Comparing the DRV and the sailboat is laughable. The RV and '18 Ford 350 cost about 25% of what I'd pay for the boat and it is as well equipped and the quality of interior is actually better than the boat. Question: do i need some sort of portable cady to move effluent from black and grey tanks to a dump site or will a bit of planning and restraint let me 'camp' without dumping for some time?

I have never needed a caddie for the effluent. Most places we boon dock have no water to refill the fresh, so managment of tanks works out to require a return for fresh water before storage tanks are an issue.

The few time we have had fresh water hookups without dump stations , the gray tank was an issue well before the black. Those places legally allowed the disposal of gray water on the ground. We carry a long hose for that purpose to dispose of gray water far from the rv, so as to not pool near rv.

In your make of fiver I suspect you have rather large holding tanks. I'm guessing if you are a little conservative you could hold over a weeks worth of black water and possibly 4 days or so of gray.

We have used a county park and a couple other places where there were no sewer at the individual sites. At these places there is usually a central dump station for everyone's use. They may or may not allow dumping of gray water on the ground, each place is different.

Latest resources

Back