• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Sanitizing your RV fresh water tank

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Getting ready to hit the road after far too long number of months. Resurrecting this thread, need to sanitize fresh and I'm going to use bleach. What is the amount of bleach to use?
@Neal I would not use bleach! I would use what most all water treatment facilities use! Clorine dioxide! It can be found in the camping area at Walmart, or I buy it in larger volumes at KVlabs on Line. Clorine should NEVER be used!!!
Clorine dioxide I not what you may think it is,it is chlorite, a different beast!

17208783644986449427155372553799.jpg

I use I/4 cup per 16 gallons, I fill my FW hose with the bleach and then fill tank

Prior to fulltime when my stored, I would always sanitize using bleach when I de-winterize. I would fill tank approximately 1/2 full drive around and then drain. Once refilled we would use the water for drinking as it was filtered.

My feeling now is the fresh water is cycled regularly and not necessary. I could be persuaded to do something different?
We do the same and we also use our twice filtered water for drinking. I had the coach out the other day for the first time this season last week and notices the water had some after taste. I had not sanitized it yet and the coach has sat longer than it usually does.

We do ours once per year using the recommendations in the manual.

We do spring the water from the tank when needed - outside three filter setup, softener, and whole house filter.

Being full time we keep the fresh tank full while parked and travel with about 1/3 tank.

The other piece that we do more often is the supply hose. That gets sanitized about every 8 weeks on my current schedule. Using the whole house filter for adding sanitizing materials does not get the hose. I use the regen housing from the softener to do the hose portion sanitize.

Latest resources

Back