Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
For those with or those getting pellet grills, if you want to make a great steak you’ll want to get Grill Grates. These “plates” are custom made for your grill brand/model and work great for steaks.

For those with or those getting pellet grills, if you want to make a great steak you’ll want to get Grill Grates. These “plates” are custom made for your grill brand/model and work great for steaks.

@Neal , are you saying that with these grates you can cook a steak on your smoker as well as you can on A charcoal grill? I’ve heard it’s harder to get a good sear on a steak with a smoker.

@Neal , are you saying that with these grates you can cook a steak on your smoker as well as you can on A charcoal grill? I’ve heard it’s harder to get a good sear on a steak with a smoker.

Absolutely. You'll love the steak on the pellet grill. I put the sear plates in and then set the grill to 400. The plates are in from the moment I start the grill, you obviously want them to temp when the steaks touch them. I cook the steak 7 minutes each side and that gives me about a medium rare to medium. I've done it at 375 before and that was fine too. Last night I had steaks for family over all done on the pellet grill and it was amazing!

Neal, with the grill grates in place do you cook with the smoker lid open after the grates are up to temp?

Neal, with the grill grates in place do you cook with the smoker lid open after the grates are up to temp?

I think the lid needs to remain closed which is the whole part of smoking but you could bring them up to temp and then sear on the grates. I've always kept the lid closed but I'm no expert in cooking!

Thanks Neil,
In our limited use of out DC we sometimes don't always want the smokey taste from the pellets. Thought by leaving the lid open might help.

Do you have a Blackstone griddle? (yet??) :cool: That could do the sear for you, I actually cooked a NY strip on one recently and it was amazing. Bracing for friendly fire!

Yes I do have a 17" Blackstone. So I have it all covered DC, Blackstone, and Weber Q1200. Looks like Barbecues Galore when I set up camp. :rolleyes:

Yes I do have a 17" Blackstone. So I have it all covered DC, Blackstone, and Weber Q1200. Looks like Barbecues Galore when I set up camp. :rolleyes:

That's what camping is about, right? I finally ditched my weber propane grill and I'm griddle and smoker only now.

I'll give the Blackstone a shot.

Latest resources

Back