• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
I know this is peripheral to RVing, but many of us who are not full-timers spend considerable time away from our sticks-and-bricks home. Having security cameras that can be viewed on a cell phone or tablet while away could be important. We are looking for such a system right now. Anyone with experience in this area is welcome to chime in.

One thing that would be important to us is having a system that would automatically restart after a power outage without hands-on intervention. Also prefer a wireless system, if that's doable.

What say, ya'll?

TJ

I just installed a Ring doorbell. It was dead simple. I did have to play a bit with the motion zones, to get it set up not to give false alarms. But the interface is simple and intuitive. I get alerts on my phone immediately, and I it has two-way audio. They also make a variety of indoor & outdoor cameras with the same features; hardwired, battery, and solar. I already have security cameras from another company; but I have been so impressed with the Ring, that I am seriously considering changing them out. mine does restart after a power failure...we just had one yesterday.

@TJ&LadyDi I use Honeywell Lyric C2 cameras in my S&B and I also have one in my coach that sits on the back wall of the dinette. These use geolocation so they know when you're away vs. home mode (you have to update the location for the one in your coach obviously. I also use a Ring doorbell as @Akdare mentioned above but I think you're looking for something inside? For the Honeywell Lyric C2 you don't have to pay anything additional but you can add higher levels of monitoring for more storage but I get an email of any incident and I can look in via my cell phone as needed. It's worked more than just for security, it picks up noises too and I had a heat detector go off once, a smoke detector battery start chirping, etc. and it alerts me to those things too which is good. I also get notifications on my phone of any motion or sound events. All configurable. You can also use these to look in on dogs while away if desired. Many uses but you can bring up live video from your smartphone. I had a different type earlier that I could actually pan and zoom but had issues with connectivity so I ended up finding these and have liked them, in use for years now. I started with their C1 version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SG7TKQ/?tag=rvf01-20

lyricc2.png

Actually, we are looking for an outside system that will alert us to someone near the house BEFORE they break in. Having an inside system might be phase 2 for us.

We live in a pretty secure rural area with observant neighbors reasonably close (50-150 yards), but the nighttime hours are the most vulnerable time we are looking to cover.

I'll take a look at the Ring doorbell. That might be a good start. We're hoping to set up a comprehensive system that will allow monitoring of the front door, rear door, garage door, etc. that could all be viewed on an iPhone or iPad.

TJ

You may want to contact a security company and do it right. I do have an alarm system with monitoring service. But companies can do a far better job with a complete solution such as you're looking for including video and storage of videos as desired.

You may be right, Neal. we are hoping to explore DIY solutions before going there, however. Since we will be at the S&B until April, we have a bit of a time cushion. While we are at the S&B, our security system is provided by S&W!

TJ

I have had ADT for many years. They installed a complete system including 4 exterior cameras and one interior camera all motion activated with email and message notification. I can toggle through all cameras and look at them real time on my iPhone or iPad. They do, however, have connectivity issues from time to time and high winds give me constant exterior motion notifications that can be annoying. The upgraded system was put in for minimal $ but it’s been so long that I can’t remember the amount. I do pay $180/quarter for monitoring which includes a call to me if the home perimeter is breached or there is motion detected inside. All in all I’m satisfied with the system and service.

We started with a Ring Doorbell about 3 years ago. It has worked great. Since we started going on longer trips and we have a cat sitter (I know, I know) who comes in every other day to clean the cat boxes and refresh food, etc. I decided to get ARLO cameras.

https://www.costco.com/arlo-pro-2-i...camera-security-system.product.100489223.html

They are wireless and can be installed by someone like me-totally inept with this kind of technology. They can also go outside so I put one on the back, basement door to see anyone trying to gain access to our walkout basement.

Since they use wireless internet I can see immediately what the cats or the Cat Whisperer is doing. Is she in my house sleeping in the bed or just tending the cats? Was she in for 10 minutes or an hour?

I got them at Costco when on sale. I think they were $400.00 (The link above shows them on sale for $279.00!!) for 3 and you can add up to 6 (I think). They also have a microphone so you can talk to the cat/dog/person who is in the room/area etc. The fact that they are indoor/outdoor and can be set up for solar is really nice.

I have them pointed at points of entry and where the cats hang out for now. It gives us a sense of security that goes beyond the doorbell.

Thanks for the input on the Arlo security cameras at Costco. I have been looking at the Arlo Pro 2 system there recently. I think that's the one you are referencing as being on sale for $279. Have you had any problems with power outages and the system not resetting? I've seen a couple of comments about that issue.

TJ

Last edited:
I have been using these for over a year now https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html. On our recent trip West, I was able to check all the cameras, and got notification every time the house monitor came to check the house, every time a door was open, for how long etc. Cloud storage is free. High res 1080 video and sound. The pan camera can follow a moving object while recording.
I used one in the RV to check on our Miss Daisy ( our MaltiPoo) ?.
wayze are having a Black Fr. sale on black cameras.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back