Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Selling a motorhome… consignment or self?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
What do you guys think about letting people do test drives? Are people going to want to do that? I would be hesitant….
I would think some folks would want an inspector to come out, which should be fine.

Thanks again as we have a lot of thinking to do this winter.
Nope, nobody drives the rig until it's theirs. I'll be thrilled to give a test ride, but not to everyone that come by. Come to think of it, nobody asked to do a test drive on either of my others. But if someone did want to go on a test drive, I would have to say something like, "I promise the rig runs just fine. And if we can come to terms on price, etc., and you have financing lined up, then I'll be happy to take you for a drive."

Most high end car dealerships that I've been to don't let just anyone walk in and go for a ride. And this is defiantly a high end ride. ;)

Ask first "what am I going to do without my motorhome?"

Try selling first, do your best marketing, keep in mind the bunk model may be difficult, don't know, but always keep a positive tone, i.e. "you can make this into a great office" as I've seen done with bunk floor plans.

Test drive - I do the driving. Sign the deal with money and then you can drive with option to cancel? I don't know, I asked this on this forum about a year ago as well if you can find it.

New tires with RettroBands, LifePO4 batteries, solar, etc. etc. don't give it away! I think selling on your own would command more money, I think a dealer would not value those components as much as they should is my "guess." They want it off their lot. If you have time, sometimes patience pays off. Both my corvette and Porsche took a long time to sell, Corvette I practically gave away, thanks to the Pandemic I got almost what I paid for on the Porsche. And yeah, I regret selling it and my boat! With that said...think long and hard if you're going to regret letting this gem go vs. what it costs you to keep it as buying another one ain't gonna be cheap!
These are all really great points. I experienced a lot of disappointment over the last couple weeks and seriously considered selling and downsizing to something less complex and expensive to own. But considering the alternatives and potential loss, I decided to let it sit for a while and see how I feel about it later. That costs me nothing.

Agree that wiring funds is the best way (only way that I would accept). Too much fraud with cashiers check.
Test drive - only if we already had confirmation of funds and price. And I drive.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and the support.

@Neal - You make a great point when you ask: "What am I going to do without my motorhome?" That is a question Patty and I have been asking ourselves for some time. The answer, at this time, is not much. This is what makes this all so hard. There are no good choices here. All directions have a degree of challenges with it. The job is to pick the one that is least bad. Taking care of Adam, a house and an RV has me a bit worn around the edges....Even after retiring last year...
And you make very good points about me selling the RV better than anyone else. It does offer a lot. I got that feeling when I sat down at NIRVC to discuss consignment. I just didn't feel like he would "sell" all the extras our rig has.

@Rich W. - Seems like you have had similar feeling recently as well. :-/ And sitting on the RV is one option. Maybe not travel as much right for some period of time... Just keep it up. But the risk there is that it costs thousands of dollars annually (taxes, insurance, maint., etc.) just sitting in the driveway. Not including depreciation.

@Jim and others - Thanks for confirming that I do not have to allow test drives. Makes sense what you say and what I was hoping to hear. And wiring the money is the way to go. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

This is not a decision will we take lightly but at least I have some data to help make it. We have had a motorhome of some kind since 2006...would be hard to give it up. Just need to figure out if it is harder to keep it.

Thanks again!
Rich

Late to the discussion but I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway.

First off, I agree with Jim on the test drives. No one would test drive unless the funds are in my account and the insurance is in their name.

In the last 2 years we have sold two RVs on RVTrader, a 2017 Newmar 4369 and a 44' Toy Hauler. The market was stronger than it is today though.

I wouldn't broker any RV, unless you are physically unable to show it or handle the sale. There will be scam attempts for sure. You just have to use your head and be careful. Anyone showing up in person is probably a honest shopper.

We are preparing to sell our final RV which is a 2022 Forest River Salem travel trailer. Not an expensive RV but we will still use a RVTrader ad.

Thanks Joe! I appreciate the feedback. If I sell, I will definitely lean towards selling myself.
Good luck in the selling of your last RV. I am sure it is a melancholy feeling.

Rich

Latest resources

Back