Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Selling a motorhome… consignment or self?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Richpatty

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4310
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
400hp
TOW/TOAD
2007 CR-V
Fulltimer
No
Toying with selling our motorhome…. maybe in the spring as I think the market would be better in the spring rather than the winter. I spoke to NIRVC who charges 7%. Plus I may be competing with all the others in their lots (they said they still have 2023s left). Or do I try to put it on RVTrader and RVForums and sell myself? I know it would be more work…but how much more? And what is involved with the actual sale? It sure is a ton of money to make a mistake with the selling process. Does anyone know anywhere that shows the process and pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
Rich

Facebook Marketplace seems to be the place to sell things these days if you have an account.

I sold my 2018 New Aire myself using RV trader. I could never be a salesman. It is hard work.

I was absolutely amazed how many people inquired about my NA without doing any serious homework. Many wanted me to "sell" them about why they should buy a New Aire. Many had not even looked at a New Aire brochure.

I did sell the NA for a good price when a buyer came along that knew exactly what he wanted. There was no "selling" we just worked on the price, terms and conditions and pickup details. Obviously it is much easier to sell in an up market.

A private seller today is going to have a hard time without a steeply discounted asking price.

We sold our fifth wheel on RVTrader in 2020. I think it took around 6 weeks. I sell a lot of items locally on Market Place but you need to be ready for scammers and low ball offers. I have sold a couple of cars on MP as well. My thought on RVT I will get people looking to buy an RV. It worked out. We had no lien so that made it easier. Good luck.

What do you plan to buy?

I will add in our travel this year we have seen full RV lots. I guess we will see this for a while.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.
If selling on your own, do you get people who want to test drive? For a diesel, they should have a class B non commercial license. Or do you drive it for them? Not sure if I would like having someone drive my MH.

And I guess payment would be in a certified check? Or is there another way? And besides signing off the title, that should be it, yes? We do not have a loan on it.

And we would not be buying anything to replace it…my 31 year old sons health (autism, epilepsy, catatonia) has become so challenging that going away has become too difficult. So I feel we have to hang up the keys to care for him.

Thanks again.

I would look into wiring funds. I did this when I bought my current coach and on a couple other bigger purchases and it only takes a couple hours to confirm funds. You can provide wiring instructions and hold the title until funds are confirmed. Certified checks are not an absolute guaranty of payment. Sorry to hear about your reasons, but yes, family does come first.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.
If selling on your own, do you get people who want to test drive? For a diesel, they should have a class B non commercial license. Or do you drive it for them? Not sure if I would like having someone drive my MH.

And I guess payment would be in a certified check? Or is there another way? And besides signing off the title, that should be it, yes? We do not have a loan on it.

And we would not be buying anything to replace it…my 31 year old sons health (autism, epilepsy, catatonia) has become so challenging that going away has become too difficult. So I feel we have to hang up the keys to care for him.

Thanks again.
I've sold 2 rigs on RV Trader but I don't mind the sales process. And I absolutely thrive on the purchase process! lol, I love to negotiate. But that's just me.

As you know, the market isn't what it was a year ago, but your rig is nice and has amenities that are super. For the right person, that solar setup and batteries are going to be a huge sales point.

It doesn't cost much to put an ad on RV Trader. If I were you, I would post a RV Trader ad with a bunch of high quality pictures, and then wait for the right buyer. If he/she doesn't show up, then you can always do the consignment thing.

Good luck, Rich!

Thanks Jim and Rich. There is a lot to think about here both monetarily and emotionally.

Jim, what you say about starting with RV trader makes sense…and if it doesn’t go, consignment is always an option.

What do you guys think about letting people do test drives? Are people going to want to do that? I would be hesitant….
I would think some folks would want an inspector to come out, which should be fine.

Thanks again as we have a lot of thinking to do this winter.

Ask first "what am I going to do without my motorhome?"

Try selling first, do your best marketing, keep in mind the bunk model may be difficult, don't know, but always keep a positive tone, i.e. "you can make this into a great office" as I've seen done with bunk floor plans.

Test drive - I do the driving. Sign the deal with money and then you can drive with option to cancel? I don't know, I asked this on this forum about a year ago as well if you can find it.

New tires with RettroBands, LifePO4 batteries, solar, etc. etc. don't give it away! I think selling on your own would command more money, I think a dealer would not value those components as much as they should is my "guess." They want it off their lot. If you have time, sometimes patience pays off. Both my corvette and Porsche took a long time to sell, Corvette I practically gave away, thanks to the Pandemic I got almost what I paid for on the Porsche. And yeah, I regret selling it and my boat! With that said...think long and hard if you're going to regret letting this gem go vs. what it costs you to keep it as buying another one ain't gonna be cheap!

Latest resources

Back