• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Serpentine belt failures

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Carrying a breaker bar like @ARD recommends is a good idea. Make sure it has a swivel head as it helps in the tight areas where you will use it. Changing the belt(s) can be done by one person but is much easier with a helper. One can hold the breaker on the tensioner while the other positions the belt.

For those that have not had a belt failure, you might want to take a picture of the engine accessory end to have the correct routing of belts just in case.

IMG_1787.jpgIMG_1788.jpg

I seal vac them with my food saver too! lol Big Mike (Spartan) told me to that 7 years ago when I first started out.

So yes, 2 fan belts with a perfect cut. Because the alignment was off the belt would walk up the pulley and it would make a perfect straight line cut down the belt. Luckily, I carry a spare belt or I would have been on the side of the road much longer than 4 hours both times. I've ordered a ½ inch breaker bar so next time IF and hopefully WON'T happen again, I can change it.

Spartan adjusted the alignment and now I am sporting a FleetRunner green fan belt that you have to pry on so I am carrying a green belt and the usual fan belt. The green belt to be used at my next service and the normal one for "just in case."

Safe travels Everyone!

View attachment 25858View attachment 25859
Just a note! Prying on a belt is harmful to the reinforcement, and may shorten belt life.

The bottom numbers should match, that is the belt size!!!

Big Mike stated at a Spartan informational event that the Spartan belts contain Kevlar composite in the belt construction. They are more expensive but last considerably longer in service, as long as they stay where the are supposed to be.

Big Mike stated at a Spartan informational event that the Spartan belts contain Kevlar composite in the belt construction. They are more expensive but last considerably longer in service, as long as they stay where the are supposed to be.
The tech said that the belts stretch. @Kevin D Pem not sure why they chose to put this belt on. Will ask in April when I go in for service.

Latest resources

Back