Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I know @ARD just went through this twice back to back and now I see a thread in the Newmar Owner's Group on Facebook that this is happening to people more often than I care to imagine. Maybe @ARD can shed light on what Spartan told her but it appears to be an alignment issue in the pulleys the belt travels. It seems like maybe in recent years they weren't installed properly? Just a hunch. Moral is, carry extra belts, maybe more than one, know the part number to get from stores like local auto supply stores as they are typically generic belts (heavy duty version). And maybe next time you do your chassis service ask for this to be inspected and verified.

I can tell you that if the pulleys aren’t aligned perfectly on a Prevost the belts and or the pulleys will fail. I have seen it happen to others. I carry a complete set of belts because finding them somewhere in the US usually requires waiting for belts to be shipped to you. I know people who found an equivalent belt at NAPA auto store and it caused belt squealing like no tomorrow after it was installed. They had to wait. So the moral of the story is get the belts from the manufacturer and carry a spare set. My .02 cents.

They had to wait. So the moral of the story is get the belts from the manufacturer and carry a spare set. My .02 cents.
Also, keep in mind rubber deteriorates, even when not used. I have been carrying a spare since I bought the coach in 2020. It would now be likely goid for an emergency, but I would not trust it for a permanent replacement. I think I got it at O’Reilly - funny, at least they know what a f53 chassis is. AutoZone and Advanced Auto seem to have no clue.

I carry a spare set of belts. Only belt issue I've had is when the dash AC compressor locked up and broke the belt. Had 4K miles on the bus at the time.
I put my spare belts and and fuel filters in a food saver vacuum bag. Figure it won't hurt.

I put my spare belts and and fuel filters in a food saver vacuum bag. Figure it won't hurt.
I seal vac them with my food saver too! lol Big Mike (Spartan) told me to that 7 years ago when I first started out.

So yes, 2 fan belts with a perfect cut. Because the alignment was off the belt would walk up the pulley and it would make a perfect straight line cut down the belt. Luckily, I carry a spare belt or I would have been on the side of the road much longer than 4 hours both times. I've ordered a ½ inch breaker bar so next time IF and hopefully WON'T happen again, I can change it.

Spartan adjusted the alignment and now I am sporting a FleetRunner green fan belt that you have to pry on so I am carrying a green belt and the usual fan belt. The green belt to be used at my next service and the normal one for "just in case."

Safe travels Everyone!

IMG_3021.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg

I've ordered a ½ inch breaker bar so next time IF and hopefully WON'T happen again, I can change it.
Link for those that may want to get one too?

What about the other belts? Is it only the main that you have had fail? I’ve read where the fan belt has caused issues and I believe there is a 3rd belt too.

What about the other belts? Is it only the main that you have had fail? I’ve read where the fan belt has caused issues and I believe there is a 3rd belt too.
I have only had fan belt issues. 🙏

I've only have two belts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back