Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
For towed-less folks (those with ONLY a class A, B, or C) and especially full-timers and long-timers: What programs, plans, methods and resources do you use to try to get the most timely repair or maintenance if your rig becomes disabled or hobbled or an essential appliance like AC, refrigeration or water pumps give out?

Do you sign up for an annual repair/maintenance plan or service or do you wing it? Do service providers specialize in either the "house" part of the rig or in the engine/chassis part? I plan to get a gas engine rig to keep repair services more accessible.

Any recommendations and cost estimates?

I am a senior intending to solo full time in a used (5 to 10 year old) class A or C and want to go prepared. I understand preventative maintenance is essential.

All of my services were annual, and done by myself when we had the gas coach .With the diesel it's still annual, but only do the simple things like oil,filters, and lube. I trust the other services to the experts.

Coach-net. Also, I try to get to know local mobile techs, where I camp. Had to have a repair on the last trip home. Fortunately, I knew a good mobile tech that was on my route. Called ahead and had the parts shipped to him. They arrived the same day I did. He did the repair and I was back on the road the same day.

Rvservicereviews.com

I try to keep a list of repair places with good reputations along my path. It seems that often mobile techs are the fastest at getting repairs done. Dealers with good service are often booked out weeks or months ahead.

Coach-net. Also, I try to get to know local mobile techs, where I camp. Had to have a repair on the last trip home. Fortunately, I knew a good mobile tech that was on my route. Called ahead and had the parts shipped to him. They arrived the same day I did. He did the repair and I was back on the road the same day.

Rvservicereviews.com

I try to keep a list of repair places with good reputations along my path. It seems that often mobile techs are the fastest at getting repairs done. Dealers with good service are often booked out weeks or months ahead.
Your comments match others I've read. Even my local General RV salesman said something similar just yesterday. Mobile RV repair folk get to keep more of their fees than working for a dealer, are more responsive (within hours or days versus weeks or months), and often just as knowledgeable and more focused on the customer. And I guess the noob like me will go to web sites like this for the best mobile tech in a particular part of the country - or ask local campground managers.

I just read someplace about a gas class A Ford chassis owner encountered several Ford dealers who would not troubleshoot his rig (brake issue) still under warranty. I'm guessing most Ford (or Chevy or Ram) dealers don't work on truck chassis? Where do they get work done?

Wow, been a long while sense I saw a motorhome on a dodge chassis. Are they stupid enough to have reentered the MH market?

I just read someplace about a gas class A Ford chassis owner encountered several Ford dealers who would not troubleshoot his rig (brake issue) still under warranty. I'm guessing most Ford (or Chevy or Ram) dealers don't work on truck chassis? Where do they get work done?
I have yet to find a Ford Dealer that will have anything to do with a Class A repair including a simple oil change. If they can't get it into their shop tough luck. Our Cab A/C compressor failed under warranty and I could not find a Ford Service Department that would work on it. Finally, the warranty expired so I still have no cab A/C. I run the generator and use the house air when required.

I have the Oil Changed and Chassis serviced every 5000K. I insisted on Mobile 1. Most times I use Camping World (Being on the road full time makes it hard to discover good locals.) but I do have a good "go to" shop in Calgary that we see once a year. They give the rig a good check up and so far, touching wood, we have not had any serious mechanical issues on the road. Just an FYI Heavy Duty shops will not service a gas Class A either. Not even an oil change.

Darrell

I look fir good light truck service centers. They often work on motorhomes. I have heard it said that you may also get some love at Love’s truck stops that have service areas. 🥸 See what I did there?😎

We had that problem when we had our gasser on an F53 chassis. Twice we had to be towed to a Ford dealer, both refused to do the repairs, a neutral safety switch and a radiator hose. Strangely, the one who refused to do the neutral safety switch, did do the cruise control recall fix. We have 8 Ford dealers within 50 miles from home. It took me a while to figure it out, but only one, who was a Ford large truck dealer, would service an F53 and order parts for me that I couldn't get from an aftermarket source.

Latest resources

Back