• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Sewage Rinse

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I know some have mentioned leaving the black valve open and technically, if the rinse line is setup correctly, one would think the upper part of the tank would be getting cleaned. We'll never know. About monthly in my travels I'll fill the black tank up twice to get water up top to get any good dislodged from there, typically that first fill up will have liquid cascade in it and a soak period at full.

Wait........why do you ask those questions, in that way?
I ask, because it makes it sound like you have zero experience with black tanks and thier "normal" usage.

Roger
To be honest, I've never used the tank rinse, so in that respect I guess I'm a newbie.

But it's never been necessary. I usually dump the black tank and then let the grey water flow back up into the black tank until it equalizes. Then I dump the black (now full of grey) again. Then shut the black tank valve and finish dumping the grey.

So in a manner of speaking, it's getting flushed out each time by default.

To be honest, I've never used the tank rinse, so in that respect I guess I'm a newbie.

But it's never been necessary. I usually dump the black tank and then let the grey water flow back up into the black tank until it equalizes. Then I dump the black (now full of grey) again. Then shut the black tank valve and finish dumping the grey.

So in a manner of speaking, it's getting flushed out each time by default.

When we started out 3 years ago I did the black and gray tank rinse, every time we dumped.
Somewhere along the line I started using the method above. After another year or so, started having some issues with the Seelevel tank level system quickly jumping up to 70% and then slowing increasing after that.
The fix? Went back to rinsing the black tank every time. Let’s just say that the first rinse took a bit longer than I expected.
I may not rinse every time now, but will rinse the black tank at least 2 of three dumps and the gray will be rinsed 1 of 4 dumps.

I rinse both tanks every time I dump. No problems what so ever. Probably overkill but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

We use the rinse system every time we dump. I usually rinse three times if there is no one waiting behind me to dump.

I use a dedicated hose with a back flow preventer with the black valve closed until the tank monitor indicates at least 2/3 full then pull the plug. The black tank rinse also targets and cleans the internal tank sensors as well so I'll repeat the cycle 3 or four times until it starts to run clear.

Latest resources

Back