RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford Raptor
During the Thanksgiving week, we camped at a campground with low voltage. Initially, I didn't realize that it had low voltage and ran around trying to figure out why I had lost power. All weekend, my SurgeGuard kept shutting us down. The issue prompted me to come up with an indicator that would tell me when I had lost shore power. Our coaches can so seamlessly change from shore power to inverter, you often never know, unless you have the A/C running or something else that isn't powered by the inverter, like the cooktop and dishwasher.

I wanted an indicator that I could easily see that would let me know when I lost shore power, even though the above was a different issue. Since the cooktop is shore or generator powered only, I added a 110 volt LED to the outlet that supplies the cooktop. I ordered a small name tag with the words SHORE POWER and added the LED on one side. I mounted it under the light switch for the kitchen sink. Now, from pretty much anywhere in the coach, I can see if I'm on shore power, or if it's been interrupted.

20200115_124241.jpg

20200115_124245.jpg

Awesome! So I am assuming it is wired back to the induction stove outlet? Where do you get such an LED?

Nice work Don!

The brass tag and LED were purchased on Amazon. It's a 110 volt LED. I just took an old two prong power cord, added some connectors and plugged it in.

Great addition, makes great sense.
In your picture you show a KIB switch panel above the LED, did you add that or was it put there by Newmar, our switch for those functions is next to the televator.

Great idea Don. I had this exact problem the other day when I ran my batteries down not knowing I was not getting shore power due to a faulty Glendinning Cord Real. I had no idea I didn't have sore power since I leave the inverter on all the time. Showed I was getting power at the external Progressive Power Supply so i didn't even think to check the display in the control cabinet.

Anyway this is a nice MOD to have a way to know you are "plugged in" at a glance.

See you in Quartzite maybe?

Steve

Wonder if an audible would be something to add to that which would help detect brown outs?

A lot of people suggested audible alarms and there are a bunch available on Amazon. For me personally, I don't want an audible alarm to go off at 2:00am because of a power outage, as I'm so anal, I'll run around worrying about it, versus just sleeping through it and dealing with it in the morning. My coach also has the power (batteries) to survive an overnight issue. So, no need to deal with it until I get up.

The brass tag and LED were purchased on Amazon. It's a 110 volt LED. I just took an old two prong power cord, added some connectors and plugged it in.
Don,
Mind sending a link to that exact LED and tag. A quick search by lazy me didn’t turn up what you have installed.

Latest resources

Back