Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ud56

RVF Regular
Been camping for years. Started in a tent for about 15 years,moved to a pop up for another 25 years now getting ready to retire and travel cross country from New York State. Looking for a small travel trailer. Between 17 and 24 ft. Been reading about how the new ones are junk. Didn’t know if I should take my chances with a new one or roll the dice with a used pre COVID model. I looked at a few airstreams that were between 28000 and38000. 1999 - 2005 years. Also the wolf pups or jayco or some forest river products new. I don’t have a very big budget so I’m sure I’ll have to sacrifice some quality. Any suggestions on new or used would be greatly appreciated!

You will get better value for money if you can find a used one that ha been taken care of. You should have a qualified inspector go over any unit you get serious about purchasing. Enjoy the adventure of your search

I agree with @NWIP. If you were a rookie, I might advise differently but seems this isn’t your first rodeo with RVing so you know the deal already. Go used.

I think the exception to that might be if you were buying your last unit and wanted it to last you 25+ years. Certainly possible with a used unit, but highly dependent on how the previous owner treated it.

You will get better value for money if you can find a used one that ha been taken care of. You should have a qualified inspector go over any unit you get serious about purchasing. Enjoy the adventure of your search
Problem is there are no inspectors anywhere near me

I personally would never buy a used trailer but that's just me. Nor an Air-Steam either as they are just overpriced icon's. RV's need maintenance and from my experience, many RV owners don't maintain their equipment properly.
But that being said; if I wanted to buy a used RV and I could wait a year or so, I feel the used RV marketplace is going to be packed with used RV's for sale pretty soon from all the newbies who went out and bought an RV during Covid just to get out of the house and after a couple years they won't want it anymore. It will be a buyers market!
Good Luck!

Here's my 2 cents.
I hear a lot of horror stories about a brand new RV spending the first 6 mo. at the dealer after you already own it. My daughter just bought a new trailer and of course some things weren't working of which was the A/C and heater. You would think the dealers would make sure everything was good-to-go. Not!
Just a loose connector under the cover on the roof on the A/C. Simple stuff. Plus the TV mount fell off on her first trip. We fixed all of the issues just to avoid the hassle of taking it in. Most RV's just seem to be slapped together so getting back to my point. A used low mileage unit is less $ and some of the guaranteed warranty issues hopefully have been taken care of. And, if you are buying it from someone like me, there would surely be some improvements over a "factory" built unit:unsure:
I'd rather be handy than handsome...

Been camping for years. Started in a tent for about 15 years,moved to a pop up for another 25 years now getting ready to retire and travel cross country from New York State. Looking for a small travel trailer. Between 17 and 24 ft. Been reading about how the new ones are junk. Didn’t know if I should take my chances with a new one or roll the dice with a used pre COVID model. I looked at a few airstreams that were between 28000 and38000. 1999 - 2005 years. Also the wolf pups or jayco or some forest river products new. I don’t have a very big budget so I’m sure I’ll have to sacrifice some quality. Any suggestions on new or used would be greatly appreciated!
Your question is quite telling. Used RVs tend to fit better with those that are handy. Those that don't mind getting their hands dinged up a bit, That enjoy the job, as much as the adventure( think gear heads). New trailers appeal more to people that have the illusion that new is trouble free(not the case). Other than broken springs, blown tires,broken bolts and such most repairs can be done at the end of the day, or during the week at one of your stop overs. My advice is don't buy an RV if you will hire everything done for you. With used you feel more comfortable modifying to fit, rather than worry that what you do might effect the value of your new trailer as many do.

If trouble free is what you are after, consider renting for your cross country trip. As long as in the agreement they agree if a problem is serious, they will deliver another rig to continue your trip in.

Great suggestions and here is my take……used if you can find a deal and it has been kept up. Used tend to have some of the being new issues worked out and ready to go < that sounds backwards I know but trust me. Problem buying used when we were looking were one of two things, either priced too high or looked like they needed lots of work. New gives you, well, something new with a warranty. Warranties are good but right now getting your RV in and parts available are hit and miss. Plus buying new you get what you want for the most part. Bad news is buying new, most TT come with the China-bomb tires so the first investment is a nice set of tires. If your dealer new can work a pre-pickup swap or quality tire, that would be my choice.

Whatever you do, be ready to do most basic repairs yourself or you will never be camping! It will be at a dealers shop sitting a lot. I find it fun to tinker on them and as Kevin said I believe, “gear heads”!

Latest resources

Back