Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Should you purchase a extended warranty?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
One thing that is worth considering...extended warranty is worthless if you are waiting months just to get your RV in for service, like what is happening now. ?‍♂️
That's another reason why it is very important to contact the service contract company and document failure dates. Service contracts are tied to failure dates that are documented. Even manufacturers will not take "someone's word" for when something failed. Having documentation at the service center is a major help.
Ken

My 5 month old Forest River has been in the shop 5 times and is currently there for a problem with the Dometic Fridge. If I can't get it fixed while still under factory warranty and only 5 months old, why would I think that an extended warranty would make any difference?

I bought a new RV with a service package. How do I buy factory extended warranty after this current one is about to expire in 5 years? Will Freedom elite RV company or camping world contact me?
Look around. Brokers can offer a lot more for a lot less. I am in the process of buying a used rig, and have been researching plans. MANY out there. Good Sam wanted 16k for 5 years through the dealer, I got better coverage for 7 years for 6,100.

Look around. Brokers can offer a lot more for a lot less. I am in the process of buying a used rig, and have been researching plans. MANY out there. Good Sam wanted 16k for 5 years through the dealer, I got better coverage for 7 years for 6,100.
Just for the record, we handle Service contracts. Our goal is to see people covered, not smoke the buyer.
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

My advice from my son who works on a lot of RVs is ................NOPE. The selling dealer or selling organization makes a LOT of money off of extended warranties. On the other hand, if one is afraid of getting their hands dirty or doesn't have time, then pay the Dealer to do the work, less extended warranty.

I purchased ONE extended warranty on one of our vehicles. Over three years I paid $3600. Dring those 3 years I had an alternator replaced. Normally that would cost $350 to $450. I'm an engineer and not an accountant or economics professor, any way one explains it......this wasn't a good deal.

If the extended warranty gives one a good warm fuzzy feeling, go for it. If one is a financial guru, then you may not get a warm fuzzy feeling from having an extended warranty.

Bob

Extended Warranty is insurance on what ever you are buying. Some times you need insurance and most times we don’t. I have bought some warranties over the years and most of the time the repairs made during that time was less than the cost of the coverage. Sometimes we need insurance most times we do not.

If you need it, you won't have it. If you have it, you won't need it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back