Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DarenH

RVF Regular
I recently purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3851. There appears to be a large (~8") round clear light high up in the middle of the right and left sides.

Is this indeed a light?
How does one turn them on and off?

I found something on-line called a Scare Light (8 5/8" 10674 $29.79) it looks like the light I'm asking about.

How do I turn it on? Hopefully it works.

On our Ventana LE there are two outside lights. One lights up just outside the front door. The switch to that light is right beside the passenger seat. The large outside security light in the middle of the coach (on the right side) is controlled by a switch in the control panel above the passenger seat. In the photograph it is labeled SEC-LIGHT PASS/SIDE. Try looking at your control panel.

Attachments

• 7DEBA722-5DBF-4508-A621-7201E4F847D1.jpeg
    7DEBA722-5DBF-4508-A621-7201E4F847D1.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
I have a switch on the slide front wall, beside the couch behind the driver, that controls the scare light on the driver side. Passenger side switch is above the entry door. I bought a new one from Newmar parts, for I think $12 or something cheap like that. I was at the Service Center for repairs and parts are about 15-20% cheaper in person than if you order from them. I wanted to change just the lens that had yellowed, but you don't get the gasket that way. It was just a few dollars more to get the whole thing.
You can see the switches in this pic.
dining-couch_1200x900.jpg

Thanks for your replies. I have switches in both areas that seem to do nothing. I need to have someone standing outside or look out while it is dark to see what they might do. It is difficult to determine if I'm flipping the wrong switch or is the light failed. I wish I had an owners manual.

I recently purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3851. There appears to be a large (~8") round clear light high up in the middle of the right and left sides.

Is this indeed a light?
How does one turn them on and off?
I believe these are called docking lights. They illuminate the parking area you are trying to get into at night. Me thinks :unsure:

Docking lights are down near the mid height of the bay doors, just behind the front tire. Although I guess you could light up your site as you back in with the scare lights - I have 2 on each side.

I don’t know how you can see anything past the middle of the coach, with the two little lights behind the front wheels?

Thanks for your replies. I have switches in both areas that seem to do nothing. I need to have someone standing outside or look out while it is dark to see what they might do. It is difficult to determine if I'm flipping the wrong switch or is the light failed. I wish I had an owners manual.
If I remember correctly, there is a switch that turns on the sconces above couch and also the lighting behind the trim in front of the windows - I call them mood lights.

Latest resources

Back