• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Silicone Roof Sealant. Yes or No?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I emailed Henry customer support and they told me that the Henry 887 will in fact adhere to clean, dry, lap sealant. I have read several comments in other forums and Product reviews mention removing the old lap sealant. I was under the impression this was necessary b/c the silicone would not adhere to the sealant. Apparently, it is the opposite scenario that won't work, in that the Dicor won't adhere to the silicone once applied.
On point!!! I use silicon when I install vents and other (needs to seal) items. Henry's makes roof patch as well that is silicone.

Clean, dry, and make sure any cracked lap seal is removed before you apply any roof coating!

A word of warning. Once you use the silicone roof coating you can ONLY use silicone roof coating on top. You can roll any of the elastomerics on top of each other, in any order. You can roll the silicone on top any of the elastomerics. But you can only roll silicone on top of silicone.

BTW, I have Henry's elastomeric roof coatings (287 Solar-Flex & 587 Dura-Brite) on my bus and on the truck camper. Love the stuff. Really quietens rain and hail on metal roofs. Makes a huge temperature difference too. I have also communicated extensively with Henry's tech support via email. I had a lot of questions. If you have a question, ask them. It might take a few days for them to get back to you but they will answer your questions.

If you roll any of the reflective roof coatings yourself, I suggest that you wear a high SPF sunburn protectant. It REALLY reflects well. I wore pants and rolled only on overcast days. I sunburned up to my knees. I sunburned on my stomach from leaning as I rolled (my shirt would swing away from my body). I sunburned on my neck and under my chin.

For sunburns: Brew Earl Grey tea (1 tea bag per coffee cup of water), let cool. Pour the tea into a fine mist trigger or fingertip sprayer (I use the empty fingertip sprayers in the travel stuff in the shampoo/deodorant section of Walmart). Rinse the dirt and sweat off in a lukewarm shower, if you can. Spray the sunburned areas with the tea. Do NOT rinse the tea off. Do NOT run. Do NOT pat. Let the tea dry. Repeat the application until the burn no longer hurts. The next day, you probably will not have a sunburn. I am very fair and burn like a redhead. This works for me.

A word of warning. Once you use the silicone roof coating you can ONLY use silicone roof coating on top. You can roll any of the elastomerics on top of each other, in any order. You can roll the silicone on top any of the elastomerics. But you can only roll silicone on top of silicone.

BTW, I have Henry's elastomeric roof coatings (287 Solar-Flex & 587 Dura-Brite) on my bus and on the truck camper. Love the stuff. Really quietens rain and hail on metal roofs. Makes a huge temperature difference too. I have also communicated extensively with Henry's tech support via email. I had a lot of questions. If you have a question, ask them. It might take a few days for them to get back to you but they will answer your questions.

If you roll any of the reflective roof coatings yourself, I suggest that you wear a high SPF sunburn protectant. It REALLY reflects well. I wore pants and rolled only on overcast days. I sunburned up to my knees. I sunburned on my stomach from leaning as I rolled (my shirt would swing away from my body). I sunburned on my neck and under my chin.

For sunburns: Brew Earl Grey tea (1 tea bag per coffee cup of water), let cool. Pour the tea into a fine mist trigger or fingertip sprayer (I use the empty fingertip sprayers in the travel stuff in the shampoo/deodorant section of Walmart). Rinse the dirt and sweat off in a lukewarm shower, if you can. Spray the sunburned areas with the tea. Do NOT rinse the tea off. Do NOT run. Do NOT pat. Let the tea dry. Repeat the application until the burn no longer hurts. The next day, you probably will not have a sunburn. I am very fair and burn like a redhead. This works for me.
Yes, I have read that pretty much nothing sticks to silicone once you apply it. I've read several arguments for and against it, but I've read far more positive reviews than negative. I'm gonna give it a shot. And I'm really hoping the Henry's will make a difference in keeping the camper cooler in the summer, too. I agree with you about Henry's customer service. I sent them a couple of emails and they were very responsive and helpful.

Latest resources

Back