RV Year
RV Make
Forest River Sandpiper
RV Model
365SAQB
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
The rubber roof membrane on my 2014, 42 ft. 5th wheel is not leaking, but the top layer is starting to flake off and I can see the black/gray rubber underneath. I am researching different coating options and came across Henry's Tropicool 887.

Henry HE887HS073 Tropicool Roof Coat, 5 Gallon Amazon.com

It has mostly good reviews and I like the fact that it is only a one coat application and doesn't require a primer. It is also supposed to reflect heat and help with cooling the camper, similar to Kool Seal. But I have read that some things such as Dicor self leveling lap sealant won't stick to silicone, so that is one thing to take into consideration. Has anyone used this stuff to seal their roof? If so, what was your experience? Any other recommendations are welcome. Ease of application and cost are both factors in my decision.

Henry's makes the seam sealant as well!
Read the stuff on their website!
If I had a rubber roof I couldn't put trop-i-coat on my roof quick enough!!! And is the only thing I would recommend, period.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on it and order it. I found out Home Depot has it for about $120 less than Amazon. I hope it helps with keeping the camper cooler as well. Summers in South Carolina are no joke!

Oh! Yes I have experience using it!!!
This is the 3rd camper I've owned, and all 3 have had an epdm rubber roof. With all 3 I have applied an approved epdm cleaner and uv protectant every Spring. In your experience, is it still necessary to apply a cleaner/protectant to the silicone coating? Also, roughly how long does the silicone coating last before needing to be re-applied?

Henry's is silicone, 100% silicone. UV protection is silicone. The reason I say this is silicone hose is used to transport Ozone, the product of UV light! It is the Ozone that causes the oxidation of virtually everything left in the sunlight. Silicone tubing still deteriorates in said equipment, but it takes much much longer.

Henry's is according to website. Designed for epdm roofing, but is not limited to it! You will find the warranty long enough if applied the way they tell you to, that in my opinion, the rig will disintegrate long before the roof needs any care.

Keep in mind, you will need to stay off the roof when it is wet, for the same reason non-stick pans are non-stick!

Henry's is silicone, 100% silicone. UV protection is silicone. The reason I say this is silicone hose is used to transport Ozone, the product of UV light! It is the Ozone that causes the oxidation of virtually everything left in the sunlight. Silicone tubing still deteriorates in said equipment, but it takes much much longer.

Henry's is according to website. Designed for epdm roofing, but is not limited to it! You will find the warranty long enough if applied the way they tell you to, that in my opinion, the rig will disintegrate long before the roof needs any care.

Keep in mind, you will need to stay off the roof when it is wet, for the same reason non-stick pans are non-stick!
I like the idea of it being a one and done application.

Read the application instructions, it is two coats just as all paints are, with one twist.
Sorry for all the questions. You seem like you know what you're talking about and I really don't want to mess up the application. I understand the silicone coating and Dicor lap sealant will not bond together. I've also read that all old lap sealant should be removed before applying the silicone. I'm wondering if I could just apply the silicone up to where the lap sealant is at along the edge of the roof vents and skylight, and leave a border around them. My reasoning being that those vents and such inevitably degrade over time and need to be replaced. Lap sealant would need to be applied at that point, wouldn't it?

Sorry for all the questions. You seem like you know what you're talking about and I really don't want to mess up the application. I understand the silicone coating and Dicor lap sealant will not bond together. I've also read that all old lap sealant should be removed before applying the silicone. I'm wondering if I could just apply the silicone up to where the lap sealant is at along the edge of the roof vents and skylight, and leave a border around them. My reasoning being that those vents and such inevitably degrade over time and need to be replaced. Lap sealant would need to be applied at that point, wouldn't it?
I emailed Henry customer support and they told me that the Henry 887 will in fact adhere to clean, dry, lap sealant. I have read several comments in other forums and Product reviews mention removing the old lap sealant. I was under the impression this was necessary b/c the silicone would not adhere to the sealant. Apparently, it is the opposite scenario that won't work, in that the Dicor won't adhere to the silicone once applied.

Latest resources

Back