• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Smelly!!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I noticed if the coach is fully closed and the Fantastic Fan is running, it sucks some fumes from the gray tank thru the shower drain. If I open a window, it does not happen.

If it is the water that stinks.
Hot water, the zinc in the water heater.
Cold water:
Worst solution, bleach.
Baking soda, better solution.
ClO2, great solution.
Ozone, great solution.

Reason? The clorine in bleach reacts with the plastic used in holding tanks. Baking soda will not, and is safe to eat.

ClO2 and Ozone are the FDA recommended treatment options for municipal water supplies.

For the record, both clO2 and Ozone are used for treatment of waste as well.

ClO2 is very inexpensive and is safe enough to drink up to 3drops an hour 8 hours a day. Will kill pathogens in all your tanks. Want to know more? The Universal Antidote – The Science and Story of Chlorine Dioxide

Hmmm...interesting. You are a wealth of information and I respect your advise. But I have a couple questions regarding the use of bleach. First, the bleach I buy comes in plastic containers, thus I think it's going to be OK for my plastic tanks for a short period. I use chlorine bleach for flushing, and don't let it stay in my tanks for any length of time. Once flushed, what residual remaining should be diluted enough to be inconsequential. Although I don't know the process these days, but in the past our municipal water company used chlorine bleach to treat our drinking water (very diluted of course). That being said, I'm certain your other suggestions are sound (and probably a better option). I just want to be sure I'm not ruining my blank plastic water / holding tanks by using store bought chlorine bleach. I just replaced my ABS sensor and don't want to crawl under our coach again to change a water tank ?

Well...based upon the chart you linked, using chlorine bleach on ABS isn't a good idea. Thank you. Darn it...it was so easy before ?

I’ve switched to this product and LOVE IT!!!
It’s much more than an odorizer; it actually has a probiotic that eats up the solids.

It works great and doesn’t send you into respiratory distress when you inhale the dust like that Happy Camper crap. ?

You can get it in liquid, packets, or powder form:

Unique RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment - Drop in Pods Toilet Treatment (20 Treatments) - 41G-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRJ9YFF/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest resources

Back